Dany is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy could, must or have to

Dear all,

I need your help. In the following sentence I want to say that we need reputation people. Which one is correct?

We could approach people who have a reputation in the industry.

We have to approach people who have a reputation in the industry.

We must approach people who have a reputation in the industry.

I would rather use sentence two or three, but the books answer in the first one. Would you pelease explain to me, why "could" is correct here?

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Dany

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: could, must or have to

I'm not much capable of answering your question so I'll leave that part to the teachers.

I'll throw another question instead. Aren't they all correct, just different in meaning? First one is what I'd use in everyday life though. I think 'have to' or 'must' is a bit too strong and wouldn't use them unless the situation calls.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with HaraKiriBlade here- 'must' and 'have to' are very striong and would suggest either that there is a fixed poilicy obliging you to do it, or very strong desire on the part of the speaker. If you're just discussing the idea, the first would be better, unless you're the boss.

Dany is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I agree with HaraKiriBlade here- 'must' and 'have to' are very striong and would suggest either that there is a fixed poilicy obliging you to do it, or very strong desire on the part of the speaker. If you're just discussing the idea, the first would be better, unless you're the boss.
    After your explanation I assume that I missunderstand the word "could". Usually I only use could, when I want to say that I have the possibility to get something/someone. But in the German translation of this sentence, the meaning is that we need this people but we don't see any possibility of get them. In that case "could" sounds odd to me. Do you understand what I mean?

If I'm wrong, could you please explain to me the meanings of the word "could"?

Thanks