Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
I am supposed to write an essay on ERROR ANALYSIS for a local conference. The thing is that, although I've been brainstorming ideas, I can't come up with an interesting topic regarding error analysis.

I would appreciate if you could help me with some ideas. What segment of ERROR ANALYSIS would be interesting for you?

It would be nice to hear some suggestions.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am supposed to write an essay on ERROR ANALYSIS for a local conference. The thing is that, although I've been brainstorming ideas, I can't come up with an interesting topic regarding error analysis.

I would appreciate if you could help me with some ideas. What segment of ERROR ANALYSIS would be interesting for you?

It would be nice to hear some suggestions.
Error analysis in Second Language Aquisition is a specific theory (Corder, 1969?).
It was based on the premise that your L1 would cause predictable and specific errors in learning L2, and so could be used as a tool in teaching students of various L1s. It turned out not to be as useful and predictive as Corder expected - even though, to me, it makes sense.
See the paragraph on this page:
Second language acquisition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thanks for your reply :)

I'm familiar with all these things about error analysis in SLA. However, I'm not supposed to write about error analysis in general. I should concentrate more on something concrete, so I would like to hear what would be interesting for you in order to come up with a topic. I need your opinion whether to concentrate on fossilisation, interference, developmental error or something else.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for your reply :)

I'm familiar with all these things about error analysis in SLA. However, I'm not supposed to write about error analysis in general. I should concentrate more on something concrete, so I would like to hear what would be interesting for you in order to come up with a topic. I need your opinion whether to concentrate on fossilisation, interference, developmental error or something else.
Ah, well that would depend on the audience. (For me, I wouldn't much care, but I find fossilization interesting as a social phenomenon).
Who is your audience? For example, linguists would have different interests from English teachers of Serbian students, I imagine. I'd choose whatever you thought most relevant to your audience's daily lives.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thanks a lot.
English teachers are the audience so I think I would pay attention to fossilization. Somehow, I find it interesting for all of us.

I appreciate your help. Thanks again ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.