Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

Does the letter "R" always silent at the end or there are some cases where "final r" is pronounced??

Can you please provide me some examples?

Thanks a lot.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

Is the letter "R" always silent at the end of syllables or there are some cases where "final r" is pronounced??

Can you please provide me with some examples?

Thanks a lot.

I presume you are talking about words like "car", "lobster" and "hear".

It is all about accents - speakers with rhotic accents usually pronounce the final "r", people with non-rhotic accents usually don't.

The typical American accent is rhotic, the typical British accent is non-rhotic.

Beyond that, it gets complicated - some American accents are non-rhotic, some British accents are rhotic and sometimes people with rhotic accents pronounce the final r. Wikipedia has an article on this.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I presume you are talking about words like "car", "lobster" and "hear".

It is all about accents - speakers with rhotic accents usually pronounce the final "r", people with non-rhotic accents usually don't.

The typical American accent is rhotic, the typical British accent is non-rhotic.

Beyond that, it gets complicated - some American accents are non-rhotic, some British accents are rhotic and sometimes people with rhotic accents pronounce the final r. Wikipedia has an article on this.

So it's all a matter of accent. No other rule or exception?

Thanks.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan

Thanks.

Yes it is a matter of accent but there are rules and exceptions. For example, like most people with non-rhotic accents, I pronounce the linking R. To steal an example from Wikipedia:

I would pronounce the word "tuner" ˈtjuːnə - no "r" sound there.

ˈBut if I said "tuner amp" I would pronounce the "r" because "amp" begins with a vowel sound. I would say tjuːnər æmp.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Yes it is a matter of accent but there are rules and exceptions. For example, like most people with non-rhotic accents, I pronounce the linking R. To steal an example from Wikipedia:

I would pronounce the word "tuner" ˈtjuːnə - no "r" sound there.

ˈBut if I said "tuner amp" I would pronounce the "r" because "amp" begins with a vowel sound. I would say tjuːnər æmp.

Thanks a lot. That is what I needed to know. :up: Thanks a for the transcription, too ;)

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There's also another factor, besides accent, namely unclear pronunciation. I recently heard a person pronouncing "ragged" as "agged", which doesn't have anything to do with rhoticity I believe. The same person pronounced "darn" in a non-rhotic way even though she was from the Midwest.

acslater017

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks.

It is further complicated by the fact that some American accents are non-rhotic. For example, some Boston and New York accents do not pronounce the 'r' at the end of words.

I'm from California, so I have a "standard" American accent and I always pronounce the 'r's. I sound like national news anchors. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.