Type of Shelters or Types of Shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesh_chel

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi!

i would like to ask, what is correct: Type of Shelters or Types of Shelter? I have a lesson on Shelter, i am quite confused on what to use when i will be discussing the types, will i say: Type of Shelters or Types of Shelter?

thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good question ;-) I've heard more cases of 'types of Xs' in speakers of Am Eng, and more of the singular X in British Eng. I've heard more or less shrill defences of either usage and its alleged 'logic'. I shall listen and learn ... :-?

(In the meantime, my practice is to avoid this format - 'I don't know which types of choice to make' => 'One type of choice seems much the same as another.')

b

acslater017

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi!

i would like to ask, what is correct: Type of Shelters or Types of Shelter? I have a lesson on Shelter, i am quite confused on what to use when i will be discussing the types, will i say: Type of Shelters or Types of Shelter?

thank you.

In my opinion:

You would talk about "Types of Shelter" when going camping. If you're caught in a storm, there are many different types of shelter: trees, caves, etc. Or perhaps in a broad, social sense. Types of Shelter: Family, Church, Friends, etc.

"Types of Shelters" implies actual buildings or structures: homeless shelters, underground bunkers, metal shacks, etc.

Reactions: 5jj

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
In my opinion:

You would talk about "Types of Shelter" when going camping. If you're caught in a storm, there are many different types of shelter: trees, caves, etc. Or perhaps in a broad, social sense. Types of Shelter: Family, Church, Friends, etc.

"Types of Shelters" implies actual buildings or structures: homeless shelters, underground bunkers, metal shacks, etc.

I agree, for what it's worth. I opened the thread to say something very much like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.