"a minor in both" or "minors in both"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkiwu

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am currently writing a cover letter and I want to introduce about what I have been studying in college. Since I have two minors in both Math and Finance, I got confused about how to put them together in one sentence but don't make it sound weird.

Grammatically, I think it should be right as follow,
"As a major in Accounting and minors in both Math and Finance at XXX College, I believe that...."

Someone told me that the above sentence sound weird and should be written as follow,
"As a major in Accounting and a minor in both Math and Finance at XXX College, I believe that ....."

Can anyone help me to rephrase it? or tell me which way is correct?
Thank you very much.

nikkiwu

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am currently writing a cover letter and I want to introduce about what I have been studying in college. Since I have two minors in both Math and Finance, I got confused about how to put them together in one sentence but don't make it sound weird.

"As a major in Accounting and minors in both Math and Finance at XXX College, I believe that...."

Someone told me that the above sentence sound weird and should be written as follow,
"As a major in Accounting and a minor in both Math and Finance at XXX College, I believe that ....."

Thank you very much.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

Thank you very much.
I would say "As a major in Accounting with minors in both......" That how we used to say it when I was in college in the Middle Ages.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thank you very much.
Just leave out 'both', and use 'with'.
"As a major in Accounting with minors in Math and Finance at XXX College, I believe that ....."

Phrases like "two minors in both Math and Finance" can be ambiguous, since it could imply you have four minors.

marriageman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Though it's not as smoothe, you could also say:

I am minoring in Math and Finance, respectively.

But I like Nikkiwu's version better.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
You posted this same thread on the Ask a Teacher forum three minutes before you posted this one. It is neither necessary nor an economical use of time (yours and those reading the posts) to post the same thread on two forums within minutes of each other.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've merged the threads.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Though it's not as smoothe, you could also say:

I am minoring in Math and Finance, respectively.
I'd call that a wrong use of "respectively".
You could say, "I got an A and a B in Math and Finance, respectively."

The correct use of this word has been discussed here a few times.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd call that a wrong use of "respectively".
You could say, "I got an A and a B in Math and Finance, respectively."

The correct use of this word has been discussed here a few times.

So would I, and I meant to post on it, but I merged the threads instead and lost my train of thought. Two tasks in a row is apparently too much to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.