[Vocabulary] What Do "Clothes-Conscious" & "Sports-conscious" Mean? Can't Find 'em In Dictionaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinbong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What Do "Clothes-Conscious" & "Sports-conscious" Mean? Can't Find 'em In Dictionaries

Hi, Teachers:

Can you tell me what do "Clothes-Conscious" and "Sports-conscious" mean respectively?? And to generalize it, can you tell me what does the suffix "-conscious" mean??

Many Thanks:)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What Do "Clothes-Conscious" & "Sports-conscious" Mean? Can't Find 'em In Dictiona

The "-conscious" suffix means that the person is very aware and concerned and knowledgable about the word before the hyphen.

A person who is clothes-conscious is very particular about how he or she dresses, and is probably aware of the latest fashions and knows the names of the major fashion designers. A clothes-conscious person will very strictly follow the unwritten rules of fashion (such as never wearing white shoes after Labor Day). Likewise, a sports-conscious person will follow a particular (or several) sports very carefully, watching games on TV and reading about their heroes in Sports Illustrated. (One personal anecdote I can give of a "sports-conscious" person is my best friend's brother; many times when we visited him he had a radio on in the kitchen that was broadcasting a hockey game. He'd dash into the kitchen to hear what was going on during commercial breaks of the TV basketball game he was watching in the living room. :-D )

pinbong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Re: What Do "Clothes-Conscious" & "Sports-conscious" Mean? Can't Find 'em In Dictiona

Thank you, Ms. Ouisch:) That was most helpful.

Looks like not all native-speakers know these two words, do they?

I've asked the same question elsewhere and did not even get an answer. And on this site my other questions usually got answered quickly and from different persons. This one I've only got one answer so far.

btw, I got another question regarding "tags", I'm wondering if the sentence I said above was correct?

Looks like not all native-speakers know these two words, do they?

or should it be:
Looks like not all native-speakers know these two words, doesn't it?

or
not all native-speakers know these two words, do they?

Status
Not open for further replies.