Post Thanks / Like

Default With or without: THEN

Hello,

I read a sentence which I don't understand the structure. Here is the sentence:
    She spoke and I listened to her, because I was if I didn't (then) her voice would gradually fade away, an evanescent wraith of a thing that would narrow to a point of light go out, lost forever, like Tinker Bell if no one clapped for her.

I would like to know if the word "then" is needed in the sentence. I put the word "then" in parentheses. If I don't need it, please, explain it to me.

Thanks very much,

SmilingTeapot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: With or without: THEN

Quote Originally Posted by SmilingTeapot
    She spoke and I listened to her, because I was if I didn't (then) her voice would . . . .
    "If . . . , then . . . ." is a common construct:

If this happens, then that will happen.

'then' is often omitted because its semantic contribution can be picked up in context.

Welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: With or without: THEN

Thank you, Casiopea.

In your example, there is a comma between the principal and the subordinate (a comma after the word "happens.")
    If this happens, then that will happen.
    I would like to know if I should add a comma after the word "didn't" in my sentence. Do I need a cooma after the word "I didn't?"

Here is my sentence:
    She spoke and I listened to her, because I was afraid if I didn't her voice would gradually fade away [...]
    Smilingteapot
    Last edited by SmilingTeapot; 17-Jul-2005 at 23:00. Reason: mistakes in my post