abbreviation derivatives, looking for theory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunamew

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm looking for some theoretical materials and researches concerning the topic of words, which are derived from various types of abbreviations. I chose this topic for my coursepaper, but I have a certain difficulty in finding the appropriate materials.
(By derivated abbreviations I mean e.g.:'brother'->'bro'->'bro up' or 'srs'- 'srsly' etc)

Thanks in advance!

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You may be on the cutting edge of that subject! I hope you can find some help and I wish you luck.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm looking for some theoretical materials and research[STRIKE]es[/STRIKE] concerning the topic of words [STRIKE],[/STRIKE] which are derived from various types of abbreviations. I chose this topic for my coursepaper, but I have a certain difficulty in finding the appropriate materials.
(By derivated abbreviations I mean e.g.:'brother'->'bro'->'bro up' or 'srs'- 'srsly' etc)

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum.
I've taken some liberties in correcting your quetion.
The comma is wrong. It implies that words are generally derived from abbreviations. If you use a defining 'which' clause, you can't use a comma.

Sorry I can't help with the answer. A loose search for 'neologism abbreviation' give a few hopeful pages though.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What do you mean exactly by various types of abbreviations?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I also wonder where you get your abbreviations from. Bro up was new to me, and I could find very few references to it apart from Urban Dictionary: bro up .

I had the same with srsly: Urban Dictionary: srsly, where it is given as an internet abbreviation.

If you are selecting only terms and abbreviations used in texting or internet communication and/or defined by Urban Dictionary, then I agree with Frank Antonson: You may be on the cutting edge of that subject! I hope you can find some help and I wish you luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.