Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"If the technician is unable to detect a malfunction, the services provided therefor shall be charged separately."

"Therefor" is supposed to denote the services provided for detecting a malfunction, but I wonder if it really does. If it doesn't, how else could one get that across without writing "the services provided for detecting a malfunction"?

How about this?

"If the technician is unable to detect a malfunction, the services provided for that purpose shall be charged separately."

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"If the technician is unable to detect a malfunction, the services provided therefor shall be charged separately."

"Therefor" is supposed to denote the services provided for detecting a malfunction, but I wonder if it really does. It does, but it's very legalistically old fahioned.

"If the technician is unable to detect a malfunction, the services provided for that purpose shall be charged separately." fine

Actually, neither the antiquated version nor your improved version is perfect. A pedant might insist on something like:

If the technician is unable to detect a malfunction, the services provided in attempting to to detect a malfunction shall be charged separately.

Or:

If detection reveals no malfunction, detection services shall be charged separately

Or: If detection services reveal no malfunction, they shall be charged separately.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Actually, neither the antiquated version nor your improved version is perfect. A pedant might insist on something like:

If the technician is unable to detect a malfunction, the services provided in attempting to to detect a malfunction shall be charged separately./QUOTE]

How about shortening the above sentence to "the services provided in attempting to do so shall be charged separately"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How about shortening the above sentence to "the services provided in attempting to do so shall be charged separately"?

I am personally happy with that. I suspect that corporations and their legal departments might not be. 'Attempting' might suggest that they tried and failed even though there was a malfuction. For the same reason, I am unhappy (now) about 'if the technician is unable..'

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I am personally happy with that. I suspect that corporations and their legal departments might not be. 'Attempting' might suggest that they tried and failed even though there was a malfuction. For the same reason, I am unhappy (now) about 'if the technician is unable..'

Don't fret over that. :cool:

Thanks.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland

If the technician is unable to detect a malfunction, the services provided in attempting to to detect a malfunction shall be charged separately.

Or:

If detection reveals no malfunction, detection services shall be charged separately.

Or: If detection services reveal no malfunction, they shall be charged separately.

I'd be interested in knowing why neither "therefor" nor "for that purpose" is ideal. Is it because they don't have a clear referent in the previous clause?

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd be interested in knowing why neither "therefor" nor "for that purpose" is ideal. Is it because they don't have a clear referent in the previous clause?

I may be being hypersensitive here. I think that the expressions could be interpreted as referring back to the malfunction or to the technician's inability. I think that it is not clear that they refer to the services.

I think.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's worth noting that the archaic 'therefor' and the current 'therefore' are stressed differently, and have meanings that are almost diametrically opposed:

'A therefore B' means 'B, the reason therefor is/was A.

This makes it a good idea to avoid 'therefor' if you can (and you can;-)).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.