Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default from her husband

    If a woman gives birth to a child concieved in a marriage, can we say "She will deliver a baby from her husband."?
    Last edited by ostap77; 27-Nov-2010 at 05:24.

  2. #2
    riquecohen's Avatar
    riquecohen is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: from her husband

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    If a woman gives birth to a child concieved in a marriage, can we say "She will deliver a (child?) from her husband."?
    Ostap, please proofread your post. There seems to be a noun missing after the indefinite article.
    I suppose you could say this, but it's not clear and doesn't sound at all natural. As it's written, we might even conjecture that she is a delivery agent and someone else is the recipient. Moreover ,this type of in-wedlock birth is usually not commented on. It would be more usual to hear that she will deliver a child whose father is not her husband. Of course I am making these remarks in a vacuum, as you've provided us with no context.

  3. #3
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: from her husband

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    Ostap, please proofread your post. There seems to be a noun missing after the indefinite article.
    I suppose you could say this, but it's not clear and doesn't sound at all natural. As it's written, we might even conjecture that she is a delivery agent and someone else is the recipient. Moreover ,this type of in-wedlock birth is usually not commented on. It would be more usual to hear that she will deliver a child whose father is not her husband. Of course I am making these remarks in a vacuum, as you've provided us with no context.
    Sorry lef it out. I was not sure about the right preposition. Suppose a woman got married to a man. They've been living together. She got pregnant. So eventualy she gives birth to a baby from her husband. Is ''from" accurate in this context?

  4. #4
    riquecohen's Avatar
    riquecohen is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: from her husband

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Sorry lef it out. I was not sure about the right preposition. Suppose a woman got married to a man. They've been living together. She got pregnant. So eventualy she gives birth to a baby from her husband. Is ''from" accurate in this context?
    I still find the sentence a bit awkward, but from makes sense in this context.

  5. #5
    lauralie2 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: from her husband

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    If a woman gives birth to a child concieved in a marriage, can we say "She will deliver a baby from her husband."?
    I'd use 'by her husband'.

  6. #6
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: from her husband

    Even with the improvement of "by" instead of "from", I don't think it's a very natural sentence. More natural, for me, would be "She's going to have/having a baby by her husband/her husband's baby". Although, as riqhecohen said, "...this type of in-wedlock birth is usually not commented on."

Similar Threads

  1. [General] Husband
    By jiamajia in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Aug-2010, 08:39
  2. husband
    By twilit1988 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2008, 12:50
  3. letter to dr. and her husband
    By Unregistered88 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2006, 19:16
  4. Ex-husband
    By Piak in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2003, 20:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •