Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If a woman gives birth to a child concieved in a marriage, can we say "She will deliver a baby from her husband."?

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
If a woman gives birth to a child concieved in a marriage, can we say "She will deliver a (child?) from her husband."?
Ostap, please proofread your post. There seems to be a noun missing after the indefinite article.
I suppose you could say this, but it's not clear and doesn't sound at all natural. As it's written, we might even conjecture that she is a delivery agent and someone else is the recipient. Moreover ,this type of in-wedlock birth is usually not commented on. It would be more usual to hear that she will deliver a child whose father is not her husband. Of course I am making these remarks in a vacuum, as you've provided us with no context.:)

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Ostap, please proofread your post. There seems to be a noun missing after the indefinite article.
I suppose you could say this, but it's not clear and doesn't sound at all natural. As it's written, we might even conjecture that she is a delivery agent and someone else is the recipient. Moreover ,this type of in-wedlock birth is usually not commented on. It would be more usual to hear that she will deliver a child whose father is not her husband. Of course I am making these remarks in a vacuum, as you've provided us with no context.:)
Sorry lef it out. I was not sure about the right preposition. Suppose a woman got married to a man. They've been living together. She got pregnant. So eventualy she gives birth to a baby from her husband. Is ''from" accurate in this context?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Sorry lef it out. I was not sure about the right preposition. Suppose a woman got married to a man. They've been living together. She got pregnant. So eventualy she gives birth to a baby from her husband. Is ''from" accurate in this context?
I still find the sentence a bit awkward, but from makes sense in this context.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
If a woman gives birth to a child concieved in a marriage, can we say "She will deliver a baby from her husband."?
I'd use 'by her husband'.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Even with the improvement of "by" instead of "from", I don't think it's a very natural sentence. More natural, for me, would be "She's going to have/having a baby by her husband/her husband's baby". Although, as riqhecohen said, "...this type of in-wedlock birth is usually not commented on."

Status
Not open for further replies.