Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,
I have a question. what is the difference between the following two sentences:
1) I am living here for 2 years.
2) I have been living here for two days.
By the way, I'm a university lecturer from Iran. I would like to make friends with some English native speakers. I would be glad if you help me.
Thanks.
Mehdi

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hello Mehdi

Sentence 1) is ungrammatical.

• I am going to live here for 2 years. :tick:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi there,
I have a question. what is the difference between the following two sentences:
2) I have been living here for two days.
#1 is grammatical in the sense: This place is my temporary home for a period of two years. Probably some native speakers would use stay rather than live.
It could also be used with a future sense, though Lauralie's version is more likely to be heard.
#2 means that I began to live here two days ago, and I still live here.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
#1 is grammatical in the sense: This place is my temporary home for a period of two years.
Interesting that it's grammatical in BrE. (In AmE, "I am living here *for 2 years" is ungrammatical.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Interesting that it's grammatical in BrE. (In AmE, "I am living here *for 2 years" is ungrammatical.)

Are you sure that it's ungrammatical in a context such the one below?

I used to live and work in Phoenix, but moved here a few months ago on a fixed-term contract. I thought it was worth buying a house, as I'm living here for two years. At the end of the contract, I'll sell up and move back to Phoenix.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Are you sure that it's ungrammatical in a context such the one below?

I used to live and work in Phoenix, but moved here a few months ago on a fixed-term contract. I thought it was worth buying a house, as I'm living here for two years. At the end of the contract, I'll sell up and move back to Phoenix.
Meaningful, but still ungrammatical, at least on this side of the pond. It's elliptical for 'I am [going to be] living here for 2 years'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Meaningful, but still ungrammatical, at least on this side of the pond. It's elliptical for 'I am [going to be] living here for 2 years'.
I must accept that I am living is ungrammatical in AmE if you say so. However, it is not elliptical for I am going to be living.

I am living is an example of what is generally known as the present continuous, or present progressive.
I am going to live is an example of what is generally known as the (BE) going to future.

The latter is, incidentally formed with the present continuous of GO. We are talking about two different forms.

Last edited:

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
I am living is an example of what is generally known as the present continuous, or present perfect.
Well, gee. I'm confused: while I am living is indeed an example of the Present Continuous (BE + -ing), it does not appear to house the Present Perfect (HAVE +). What makes it an example of PrePerf?

fivejedjon said:
I am going to live is an example of what is generally known as the (BE) going to future.
Yes, and I believe we already agree on that:

• I am going to be living here for 2 years.
  • I am going to live here for 2 years.

No matter the analysis or the terms, the sentence in question (I am living here for 2 years) still rings ungrammatical to my ears. It's interesting that it's perfectly acceptable in BrE in that it's usually AmE that admits weird English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, gee. I'm confused: while I am living is indeed an example of the Present Continuous (BE + -ing), it does not appear to house the Present Perfect (HAVE +). What makes it an example of PrePerf?B
Sorrry, Lauralie. I clearly had a mental lapse there:oops:. I meant to write progressive. I have already edited my post to avoid further problems. I have to go out now, but will return later. I just sent this off quickly to clear up the slip.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I was hoping that some other speakers of BrE might join this thread to confirm my feeling - or to tell me I am wrong.

I still believe that I am right, but I am beginning to doubt myself. I would welcome confirmation from others.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
"I am living here for two years" sounds fine to me.

However - at first I thought it was an error because I have heard learners of English say similar things when they meant "I have lived here for two years."

You can see for yourself. Do a Google search for "I am living here for" and you will mostly find non-native speakers using the phrase incorrectly, with a sprinkling of native speakers using the phrase (correctly in my opinion) in the manner fivejedjon mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
#1 is grammatical in the sense: This place is my temporary home for a period of two years. Probably some native speakers would use stay rather than live.
It could also be used with a future sense, though Lauralie's version is more likely to be heard.

I am with Lauralie.

True, but the progressive present does not collocate with temporal adjuncts such as 'for two years' because the idea of 'around now' would be lost with them.

Future arising from present arrangement: this is what you mean, right? I have seen the use of the present progressive in this sense only with events with relatively short duration. I think it is the temporal adverbial that puts a spoke in in your argument's wheel.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
the progressive present does not collocate with temporal adjuncts such as 'for two years' because the idea of 'around now' would be lost with them.

Oh, but it can, when the present progressive is used for future arrangement:

"You had better arrive on time. I'm waiting for two minutes and then I'm leaving. If you're more than two minutes late, hard luck."

Oher constructions are more likely to be used, but that's posible.

Future arising from present arrangement: this is what you mean, right? I have seen the use of the present progressive in this sense only with events with relatively short duration.

I am staying on here for another two years, and then I'm going back to England."

That appears to me to be acceptable.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I am staying here for another two years, and then I'm going back to England."

That appears to me to be acceptable.

Sounds okay to me too.

And this?
I am living here for another two years and then I am going back to England.

Can't explain why it is not okay to my ears. It is not said very often. Probably that is why. Not very idiomatic.

Oh, but it can, when the present progressive is used for future arrangement:

Which I mentioned too.

'I am living here for two years' can't be used in the sense of 'around now'. That is what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.