Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    tien-sung is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question WHERE IS THE HUMOR?

    Please place your donation in the envelope along with the
    deceased person you want remembered


    Please tell me where the humor is in the above sentence.

    Thank you.

    tien-sung

    (From Taiwan)

  2. #2
    Munch's Avatar
    Munch is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: WHERE IS THE HUMOR?

    Quote Originally Posted by tien-sung View Post
    Please place your donation in the envelope along with the
    deceased person you want remembered


    Please tell me where the humor is in the above sentence.

    Thank you.

    tien-sung

    (From Taiwan)
    Because it is asking for people to put a dead body in a envelope!

    It should say "the name of the deceased person".

  3. #3
    tien-sung is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: WHERE IS THE HUMOR?

    Why this sentece used "want rememberred"?
    Can we say "want to remember"?or "want to be remmberred"?


    from tien-sung

  4. #4
    birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: WHERE IS THE HUMOR?

    Note that it's remembered, not rememberred.

    "Want to be remembered" would mean the same thing.

  5. #5
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: WHERE IS THE HUMOR?

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    ...
    "Want to be remembered" would mean the same thing.
    Sometimes, but not in this context. In the 'prayer-for-the-dead' context, the person who is praying doesn't remember the person at all; they remember to mention them by name (or if not by name, then in some specific way, such as 'the miners in New Zealand'). They don't have to remember them at all (in the sense of recall stuff about them).

    A priest might say 'Please remember in your prayers N who died last week.' This sort of dead person is 'being remembered'.

    b

  6. #6
    birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: WHERE IS THE HUMOR?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Sometimes, but not in this context. In the 'prayer-for-the-dead' context, the person who is praying doesn't remember the person at all; they remember to mention them by name (or if not by name, then in some specific way, such as 'the miners in New Zealand'). They don't have to remember them at all (in the sense of recall stuff about them).

    A priest might say 'Please remember in your prayers N who died last week.' This sort of dead person is 'being remembered'.

    b
    I still don't understand why "want to be remembered" is incorrect in this context. Do you mean that it would have to be "want to be being remembered"?

  7. #7
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: WHERE IS THE HUMOR?

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    I still don't understand why "want to be remembered" is incorrect in this context. It's not. Do you mean that it would have to be "want to be being remembered"?
    No - I was just saying that, in the context of prayers, being 'remembered' has nothing to do with personal memories. Perhaps mistakenly I thought you were saying it had.

    b

  8. #8
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,706
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: WHERE IS THE HUMOR?

    And we can say Remember me to your parents, for instance, as a way of sending our regards.

Similar Threads

  1. where is the humor ?
    By tien-sung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-Sep-2010, 15:58
  2. where is the humor ?
    By tien-sung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2010, 16:34
  3. where is the humor?
    By tien-sung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2010, 11:21
  4. about humor
    By tien-sung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Jun-2010, 18:09
  5. humor
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Aug-2007, 17:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •