Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi all the teachers! I have translated this anecdote from one of my easy old books, so I wrote it carefully. So I beg you to proofread it. Thank you in advance.

The clever hen​
A hen had got single wheat then wanted to eat but it said "I want to sow this one to give a lot of wheat." After it planted and started to hose it well, the one wheat grew seven spikes or ears. The hen collected all the wheat then cleaned, ground, kneaded then baked. It also collected her chickens then fed them some bread and said to them "All these nice bread had come to us from one wheat, so my chickens you have to plant because it is blessed and have both livelihood and merit.

jerry081958

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The clever hen​

A hen had got single wheat then wanted to eat but it said "I want to sow this one to give a lot of wheat." After it planted and started to hose it well, the one wheat grew seven spikes or ears. The hen collected all the wheat then cleaned, ground, kneaded then baked. It also collected her chickens then fed them some bread and said to them "All these nice bread had come to us from one wheat, so my chickens you have to plant because it is blessed and have both livelihood and merit.

Hello, Atchan,

I will correct the errors and add words to your translated story to try to make it read better in English. Please note the changes:

The Clever Hen​

A hen had gotten a single grain of wheat and then wanted to eat it, but she stopped and she thought carefully and said, "I will sow this one so I will have a lot of wheat."

After she planted it and watered it well, that one grain of wheat grew into seven heads of wheat. The hen collected all the wheat, cleaned it, ground it into flour, kneaded it into dough, and then baked it into bread.

She then collected her chicks and fed them some bread. She said to them, "All this nice bread has come to us from just one grain of wheat; so my chicks, you have to plant and wait to get the best results. This is because it is blessed to have food to eat; but, with patience, you shall enjoy the greater reward!

I know I took some liberty with your story, but I hope I captured the feeling and intent of the original. :-D I like stories or fables that teach morals. I think most all languages have these kinds of stories. Do any of you other students have a short fable to translate into English that you would like to share?

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
A hen had got single wheat then wanted to eat but it said "I want to sow this one to give a lot of wheat." After it planted and started to hose it well, the one wheat grew seven spikes or ears. The hen collected all the wheat then cleaned, ground, kneaded then baked. It also collected her chickens then fed them some bread and said to them "All these nice bread had come to us from one wheat, so my chickens you have to plant because it is blessed and have both livelihood and merit. Not good.

A hen had a single grain of maize, which she wanted to eat, but she decided to plant it, to grow more maize. After planting it, she cared for it and watered it. The seed grew into a tall plant with seven ears of corn. The hen collected the ears, cleaned them, dried them, and ground the kernels into flour. She made dough from the flour, kneaded the dough and made bread from it. Then she called the other chickens and gave them some of the bread. She said, "All this delicious bread is the product of one grain of maize. So, fellow chickens, you should plant and grow things because this is a blessed occupation which has much merit and will provide you with a livelihood."

Sorry Jerry, I had this half done on the comp, and just finished after lunch, before I saw your version. I think we are talking maize here though

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Do any of your other students (classmates) have a short fable to translate into English that you would like to share?
Yes, they do. But they don't share with me in this forum.
It doesn't really matter, does it?
No, it doesn't. But I was talking about a wheat.

Thank you all

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But I was talking about [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] wheat.

I was talking about wheat.
or:
I was talking about a grain of wheat.

Wheat is normally non-count.

Status
Not open for further replies.