Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello everyone,

I'm a newcomer. My name is Iury and I'm from Brazil.
I was looking for an english forum that could help me figuring out some doubts related to Teaching English as Foreign Language's Certificates. I hope I found it.

Well, I do a degree in English and American literature and language. I graduate in 2 years, but until there I'm searching for some information about teaching english abroad. So, I found two different websites about it, which are: teflinstitute.com and cambridgeesol.org/exams/teaching-awards/celta (I'm not allowed to post links because it's my very first post in this forum).

Both of them are courses to get the certification for being able to teach english abroad. I don't know which one to take. Which is better?
My french teacher, who also is an english teacher, said the Cambridge one has more credibility around the world. Did anyone take any TEFL certificate but CELTA? Is CELTA more advantageous than any other TEFL certificate?

Thank You!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Try this: TEFL vs CELTA vs TESOL . If you have any further questions, you can post them on that thread, or start another thread with a specific question.

Ulybin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
UK
It looks like most employers prefer CELTA. Some employers also list Trinity's CertTESOL, which is just as respectable but for some reason not as popular. Other TEFL/TESOL certificates don't have much recognition around the world.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
CELTA does have the widest recognition of any course- just look at job adverts, it is endlessly mentioned. Trinity comes second in terms of mentions, but it is quite a way behind.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
My school does the CELTA, but has no problem hiring those with a TESOL certificate (as long as it meets the same standards in terms of hours and teaching practice). But they tend to be the same price anyway, so I'd go for the more recognised course.

The other thing about the CELTA is that you need it to do the YL extension, which is seen as valuable by employers. The CELTYL as a standalone qualification is disappearing in January, so the only way to get this qualification is to first have a CELTA (actually, some centres will allow you to do the course and issue you with their own certificate, but Cambridge themselves will only issue them to people with the CELTA). That's not to say that's your only option, because the International House YL certificate is also well respected, but it's something to think about. But YL certificates are becoming increasingly desired as this is the main area of growth in the industry.

iurypaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
As I see CELTA is the best option as it is the most recognised certificate in the english teaching field. I've got two more years to take the CELTA course, so until there I'll have enough information about it and in the meantime I'll be studying hard to take the FCE and then CAE.

Thank you so much everyone for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.