Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,
I am looking for some synonyms for the words crew/group both in Brittish or American slang. Are there any?

Thanks in advance.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, your "crew" or "group" could also be referred to as your gang, your homies*, your homeboys*, your friends, your buddies, or your peeps*.

*These are all slang terms, but they'll usually be understood by most folks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Of those, peeps was used in the UK a few years ago, but I can't say whether it's fallen into disuse now. Homies/homeboys didn't get used much.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of those, peeps was used in the UK a few years ago, but I can't say whether it's fallen into disuse now. Homies/homeboys didn't get used much.

As an aside, I must confess that I privately chuckle when today's young hipsters think that they are oh-so modern and cool by referring to their friends/acquaintances as their "peeps," because I'm ancient enough to remember the same word used in the same context back on a 1967 episode of Dragnet.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As an aside, I must confess that I privately chuckle when today's young hipsters think that they are oh-so modern and cool by referring to their friends/acquaintances as their "peeps," because I'm ancient enough to remember the same word used in the same context back on a 1967 episode of Dragnet.
Your video clip brings back many fond memories of the 'Dragnet' TV show, Ouisch! :up: "The story you are about to see is true! The names have been changed to protect the innocent!" :cool:;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.