Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: adaptogenic

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 429
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    adaptogenic

    I wonder if anyone can help me find this word ? I tried many medical dictionaries but to no avail :(. In fact, I know the meaning of this word by a good guess, the thing is I need a specific explanation on it.

    Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 3,410
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    "modern herbalists say adaptogenic herbs are plants
    with properties that exert a normalizing influence on the body."
    http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/DISCO...ic_Herbs.shtml

    "An adaptogenic substance is one that demonstrates a nonspecific enhancement of the body's ability to resist a stressor. The term was first introduced in 1947 by Russian scientist N.V. Lazarev to describe the unique action of a material claimed to increase nonspecific resistance of an organism to an adverse influence. In 1958, I.I. Brekhman, a Russian holistic medical doctor, and his colleague I.V. Dardymov, established the following definition of an adaptogen: It "must be innocuous and cause minimal disorders in the physiological functions of an organism, it must have a nonspecific action, and it usually has a normalizing action irrespective of the direction of the pathological state."1"
    http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/ginseng.shtml
    I'm not a teacher, so please consider any advice I give in that context.

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: adaptogenic

    Quote Originally Posted by whl626
    I wonder if anyone can help me find this word ? I tried many medical dictionaries but to no avail :(. In fact, I know the meaning of this word by a good guess, the thing is I need a specific explanation on it.

    Thanks
    May I make a suggestion?

    Say: explanation of it.

    :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 429
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    "modern herbalists say adaptogenic herbs are plants
    with properties that exert a normalizing influence on the body."
    http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/DISCO...ic_Herbs.shtml

    "An adaptogenic substance is one that demonstrates a nonspecific enhancement of the body's ability to resist a stressor. The term was first introduced in 1947 by Russian scientist N.V. Lazarev to describe the unique action of a material claimed to increase nonspecific resistance of an organism to an adverse influence. In 1958, I.I. Brekhman, a Russian holistic medical doctor, and his colleague I.V. Dardymov, established the following definition of an adaptogen: It "must be innocuous and cause minimal disorders in the physiological functions of an organism, it must have a nonspecific action, and it usually has a normalizing action irrespective of the direction of the pathological state."1"
    http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/ginseng.shtml
    Thanks Red :) You are something :). I checked around 10 med dic but to my surprise there is no such word . The meaning from your post is exactly what I am thinking of.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 429
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: adaptogenic

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by whl626
    I wonder if anyone can help me find this word ? I tried many medical dictionaries but to no avail :(. In fact, I know the meaning of this word by a good guess, the thing is I need a specific explanation on it.

    Thanks
    May I make a suggestion?

    Say: explanation of it.

    :)
    Ron, if we are the ones who give the meaning to it. Can we use ' on ' ? Huh, I already said ' to ' :)

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    It's usage more than grammar.

    • From a Google search:

      "explanation of" = 3,560,000
      "explanation on" = 82,300


    :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 3,410
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by whl626
    Thanks Red :) You are something :). I checked around 10 med dic but to my surprise there is no such word . The meaning from your post is exactly what I am thinking of.
    Thank you! I simply did a search on Google using adaptogenic definition as the search phrase and then extracted the better examples for you.

    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...nic+definition
    I'm not a teacher, so please consider any advice I give in that context.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •