Post Thanks / Like

Default Waiting for your comments

Will you take a look at my sentences, please?

1. I didn't want to take out my travel insurance but my mother insisted I take it out.
    2. I hope I get around to clearing all this mess up some day.
    3. -When you passed his table, did you notice anything strange?
    -No, I didn't. What's wrong?
    -I didn't see his lamp on the table. It was on the floor.
    -Did he push it over again?
    -I don't know. I haven't talked to him yet.
    4. John suggested taking me out for a picnic but I refused to go because he said Jim was going too. Jim's so boring!
    5. The news that Tim had taken out the whole room shocked her. We still can't calm her down!
    6. I used to transport furniture when I worked for this company. What do you do in it?
    7. All our hopes that the furniture hadn't been damaged in transit dissappeared when we saw that old van.
    8. Do you think they're still grilling him at the station?
    9. Programmes like this transport you back to the time when you were young.
    10. The idea of collecting rainwater struck me while gardening.
    11. Even though the police collected enough eveidence against the criminal, they still couldn't get the permission from the local authorities to catch him.
    12. We haven't arranged yet who will collect her pesnion while she's away.
    13. The goverment finally decided to adopt this reform.
    14. As he hadn't collected any medals at the competition, his coach was thinking of suspending him for a while.
    15. They've been on trial for taking 12 children hostage for three weeks now.
    16. I canít think of anything else I could add to what Iíve already written.
    17. If you get it at 16 youíre allowed to drive only if accompanied by a person whoís over 18.
    18. -If you were asked at the interview what your main assets are, what would you say?
    -I think that my asset is that I can get on with people very easily. It matters, doesn't it?
    -Of course!
    19. You're just asking for trouble if you aren't going to give him back his money.
    20. He had a good opportunity to show off his musical skills at that contest.
    21. They're difficult to cope with.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Waiting for your comments

1- I'd drop the 'my'
    4- semi-colon Jim's so boring? Maybe 'going for a picnic' after 'suggested'
    5- what do you measn by 'taken put the whole room'?
    9- I'd say 'take you back to when you were young'
    11- typo- evidence
    12- typo- pension, also, I'd say 'haven't found/got someone to collect...'
    13- do governments adopt reforms?
    14- I'd move 'for three weeks now' as it sounds as if that is the duration of the kidnapping not the trial

Post Thanks / Like

5- what do you measn by 'taken out the whole room'?
    I mean that he destroyed the room completely Does it sound odd?
    I'd say 'haven't found/got someone to collect...'
    That's really great. Thanks a lot!
    13- do governments adopt reforms?
    Dunno Maybe in some countries they do. what word would you use? I guess - the parliament?

15- what about?
    It's been three weeks now since the trial on taking 12 children hostage began.
    Is this one ok?

It's really hard not to make typos. I make far more typos when writing in Russian. When I'm writing in English I always read my posts twice but if I'm writing a post in Russian I don't usually do so. As a result, I've got lots of typos. It s*cks... (sorry)

Post Thanks / Like

What about these sentences?
    1. We didn't expect him to get so much attention. I think it's because his speech was truly interesting.
    2. They're going to be met by lots of complaints about the current situation in the country.
    3. This illness is very acute. He has got practically no chance of recovering.
    4. Dogs have a very acute sense of smell which allows them to keep out of trouble in most cases.
    5. The officials say that they're absolutely sure the new system meets the needs of the locals.
    6. She said that the pain was so intense she couldn't even budge (it seems to me that this is an inappropriate verb here, what can i substitute it for?) her feet.
    7. The weather conditions were very harsh! I've no idea why Derrick couldn't understand that we just couldn't work in such intense heat.
    8. It concerns me that hardly anyone is now ready to take care of nature. The only thing we're doing is inflicting damage on nature.
    9. Do you think obesity is becoming a noticeable problem now?
    10. The kids were behaving noticeably better that afternoon. What was the reason? (can I put 'for it' at the end?)
    11. When asked whether you want to watch the proceedings, say: I'd love to but I can't!
    12. Do you really want to spook Jim out again? How are you going to do it? Are you going to phone him again threatening to bomb his house when he's in? (perhaps, spook out isn't the best verb I can use, is it?)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    I mean that he destroyed the room completely Does it sound odd?

That's OK

Dunno Maybe in some countries they do. what word would you use? I guess - the parliament?
    I'd say the 'passed' the reform

15- what about?
    It's been three weeks now since the trial on taking 12 children hostage began.
    Is this one ok?
    Yep

It's really hard not to make typos. I make far more typos when writing in Russian. When I'm writing in English I always read my posts twice but if I'm writing a post in Russian I don't usually do so. As a result, I've got lots of typos. It s*cks... (sorry)
    I'm the typo king in any language.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

6. She said that the pain was so intense she couldn't even budge (it seems to me that this is an inappropriate verb here, what can i substitute it for?) her feet.
    I'd use 'move'.
    7. The weather conditions were very harsh! I've no idea why Derrick couldn't understand that we just couldn't work in such intense heat.
    I wouldn't use the exclamation mark here- it seems a bit of an anti-climax as the sentence isn't that emphatic.

8. It concerns me that hardly anyone is now ready to take care of nature. The only thing we're doing is inflicting damage on nature.
    I'd use 'the environment'

10. The kids were behaving noticeably better that afternoon. What was the reason? (can I put 'for it' at the end?) If you like

12. Do you really want to spook Jim out again? How are you going to do it? Are you going to phone him again threatening to bomb his house when he's in? (perhaps, spook out isn't the best verb I can use, is it?) It's OK, but I wouldn't say 'when he's in' as there's not that much point leaving a bomb scare message on an answerphone.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your comments! I'll see to them when I get back to Russia. There are lots of other things to do here in Toronto