Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Is there a difference between 'hit with' and 'hit by'

Can I say when you are hit with sth, it means sth beats you; when you are hit by sth, it means that you are shot by sth?

Have you discovered this discrepency?
Thanks a lot.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Nobody has replied yet so I'll give it a try. I'm not a native English speaker as you know, so I may have some misconceptions about this.

"By" introduces an agent, someone or something that, according to our perception, performs the action. "With" introduces an instrument, something that serves the agent to perform the action.

I was hit by my brother with a stick. My brother hits so he is the agent. He uses a stick, which is therefore an instument.

It's not a very common structure though. Often, when you use the passive voice, you do that because you want to omit the agent.

I was hit with a stick. We don't know the agent but we do know that a stick was used to hit you.

The agent does not have to be a person.

I was hit by a car. Here, "a car" denotes the agent, not the instrument, even though a car is not a person. You may wonder whether cars are really capable of performing actions. Well, I don't know actually, but that's just how the English language sees it.

You're not very likely to say,

I was hit by a stick.

We don't think of a stick as of the agent of hitting. Why can a car be an agent and a stick can't? I think that's because cars seem to have a will of their own and sticks don't. Do you know the etymology of the word "automobile"?

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there a difference between 'hit with' and 'hit by'

Can I say when you are hit with sth, it means sth beats you; when you are hit by sth, it means that you are shot by sth?

Have you discovered this discrepency?
Thanks a lot.

:!::!::!: NOT A TEACHER :!::!::!:

Panicmonger,

As birdeen's call said, there is a difference.

Consider:

When you cross the street, be very careful to make sure

that you are not hit/struck by a car/bus/truck.

Be very careful before you criticize other people. If you say

something that is not true, you may be hit with a lawsuit.

THANK YOU & HAVE A NICE DAY

panicmonger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
We don't think of a stick as of the agent of hitting. Why can a car be an agent and a stick can't? I think that's because cars seem to have a will of their own and sticks don't. Do you know the etymology of the word "automobile"?

Maybe, it is because the prefix 'auto-' makes the car have a will of its own.
Thank you, birdeen's call

Status
Not open for further replies.