I teach English to the 10th class. OR I teach English to a 10th class. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

twilit1988

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi,

1) I teach English to the 10th class. OR I teach English to a 10th class. ??

2) I heard about it through a friend. AND I heard about it from a friend. What's the difference?

Many thanks

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

2) I heard about it through a friend. AND I heard about it from a friend. What's the difference?

Many thanks
What do you mean by "10th class"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What do you mean by "10th class"?
It corresponds with "year ten" in England, that"s to say the tenth year at school.
In answer to the OP's question, I would say "I teach English to year ten students". For you this could be, "I teach English to tenth class students".

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

If there is only one "10th class", use 'the'. If there are more than one 10th classes, use 'a'.
When I went to school, it was called 'grade 10', and I think it still is.
If there is only one grade-10 class in that school, say 'the'. If there are more than one grade-10 classes, say 'I teach English to 'a grade-10 class' or '.....to one of the grade-10 classes.'

I think, to many people, both sentences mean the same thing, that a friend told you about it.
But if a friend directly told you about it, it seems better to use "from a friend".

"through a friend" at least raises the possibility that you didn't hear about it directly from your friend. Maybe your friend knew about it and then (s)he told another person and that other person told you about it. The messaage passed through your friend on its way to you.

Some people may say that even if your friend told you directly, the message still passed through your friend. And they could be right in saying that. But it is also possible for the message to have passed through your friend and through another person before reaching you. In that case you didn't hear it from your friend.
When you hear your friend saying it, your hear it from your friend

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.