Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: grammar check

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    grammar check

    "Since two English classes would have been too much for me I skipped them."
    Correct? Natural?

  1. Johnson_F's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 195
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: grammar check

    I do not think that skipping English classes is either correct or natural! However, if you happened to be one of those misguided people who would do such a thing, then your utterance would be grammatically correct.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,451
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: grammar check

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Since two English classes would have been too much for me I skipped them."
    Correct? Natural?
    No, it's illogical. It would be logical to skip one class if two were too many.
    It's like saying, "I can't possibly eat four hamburgers, so I won't have any."

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: grammar check

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson_F View Post
    I do not think that skipping English classes is either correct or natural! However, if you happened to be one of those misguided people who would do such a thing, then your utterance would be grammatically correct.
    Hypothetically speaking

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: grammar check

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, it's illogical. It would be logical to skip one class if two were too many.
    It's like saying, "I can't possibly eat four hamburgers, so I won't have any."
    I knew that the teacher was boring. I couldn't stand two classes in a row. That's why I skipped them.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,451
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: grammar check

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I knew that the teacher was boring. I couldn't stand two classes in a row. That's why I skipped them.
    Then you need, "Since two English classes in a row would have been too much for me I skipped them" for it to make sense.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Please check the grammar
    By mgn_v in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Aug-2010, 10:34
  2. [General] Check the grammar please
    By nekbyte in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2009, 13:25
  3. Grammar Check
    By English_Student in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2008, 10:35
  4. Grammar check
    By metinxcapraz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Jun-2007, 14:48
  5. grammar check
    By kkookk2003 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2006, 23:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •