Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I was wondering if anyone has taken the London Teacher Training College courses, specifically the online TESOL Diploma Course. I am seriously considering taking it myself so I would appreciate some advice or experience. I already have a BA in English but I cannot teach outside my country. Was the course useful and can one find a job later on? Thanks!

Johnson_F

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My online search into the London Teacher Training College suggests that its qualifications are approved/validated/whatever by St Clement's University. I value qualifications from that 'university' rather less than than I do the tissue with which I perform certain rather personal functions.

Now to practical matters.

1. If you have a BA in English from a real university (as opposed to the St Clement's type) you can teach outside your own country (though some form of teaching qualification may be a legal requirement in some countries).
2. In the TEFL/TESOL/ELT world, the initial qualification is generally the Certificate. Teachers who work towards the Diploma normally do so after (a) gaining a Certificate and (b) having at least one year's experience.
3. If you are serious about working in this field, then you should work for a Certificate in TESOL/TEFL/ELT. The most recognised/accepted certificates are the Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) and the Trinity College Cert TESOL. The Cert TESOL validated by the College of Teachers is also recognised by some. Other certificates may be accepted, but you need to ensure that the training leading to the award of a certificate involves a minimum of 100 hours of input and 6+ hours of observed teaching practice.

4. Be wary of online courses. Most employing institutions have no respect for a course which does not involve what I have underlined in #3
4. Master's degrees in Applied Linguistics/ELT are also a way into this field, especially if you wish to work in a university, or in the American part of the TEFL/TESOL world.

jelenab

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
My online search into the London Teacher Training College suggests that its qualifications are approved/validated/whatever by St Clement's University. I value qualifications from that 'university' rather less than than I do the tissue with which I perform certain rather personal functions.

Now to practical matters.

1. If you have a BA in English from a real university (as opposed to the St Clement's type) you can teach outside your own country (though some form of teaching qualification may be a legal requirement in some countries).
2. In the TEFL/TESOL/ELT world, the initial qualification is generally the Certificate. Teachers who work towards the Diploma normally do so after (a) gaining a Certificate and (b) having at least one year's experience.
3. If you are serious about working in this field, then you should work for a Certificate in TESOL/TEFL/ELT. The most recognised/accepted certificates are the Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) and the Trinity College Cert TESOL. The Cert TESOL validated by the College of Teachers is also recognised by some. Other certificates may be accepted, but you need to ensure that the training leading to the award of a certificate involves a minimum of 100 hours of input and 6+ hours of observed teaching practice.

4. Be wary of online courses. Most employing institutions have no respect for a course which does not involve what I have underlined in #3
4. Master's degrees in Applied Linguistics/ELT are also a way into this field, especially if you wish to work in a university, or in the American part of the TEFL/TESOL world.
Actually, Bosnian diploma is of no value in the world, that's for sure. I do have a year of experience so I guess I can go for a diploma in that case. As for CELTA, I mentioned that I cannot take the full course simply because I cannot afford it. Plus, it's bad enough that I have to do this to get a job elsewhere. I've seen the modules that are offered and it's really disappointing that I have to do everything all over again after 4 years of university education. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Where do you want to teach?

Online courses may be a false economy as they are regarded with suspicion by many employers and teachers, which may be an overgeneralisation, but as a non-native speaker with an online qualification, you may find it a struggle to find work in some places, and having a solid regular qualification may stand you in better stead.

(I am not saying that non-natives cannot teach English or anything like that, but many places are only looking for native speakers, so combining that with an online course may make things trickier and these are difficult times at the moment and many are looking for jobs)

Ulybin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
UK
Online courses may be cheaper but they are a waste of money, as many employers specify in job adverts that they will not accept online qualifications. You might be better off saving some money and investing in a certificate that is recognised and respected - which means CELTA (most widely recognised) or Trinity.

Your Bosnian diploma is not of no value in the world, you just need to get it recognised by a local authority (in UK it's UK NARIC which confirmed that my Polish MA is 'comparable to British taught Masters degree').

Dodgy TEFL certificate is definitely of no value for a person with a university degree and some teaching experience.

jelenab

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Online courses may be cheaper but they are a waste of money, as many employers specify in job adverts that they will not accept online qualifications. You might be better off saving some money and investing in a certificate that is recognised and respected - which means CELTA (most widely recognised) or Trinity.

Your Bosnian diploma is not of no value in the world, you just need to get it recognised by a local authority (in UK it's UK NARIC which confirmed that my Polish MA is 'comparable to British taught Masters degree').

Dodgy TEFL certificate is definitely of no value for a person with a university degree and some teaching experience.
Ok, so should I visit the UK NARIC website and ask them? And for example, if I choose a country that I'd like to teach in, how can I find out if they accept my diploma or not? I feel a bit stupid asking all this, but I simply have to :)

Alex Case

Site Contributor
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is your Bosnian Diploma in TEFL/ TESOL/ ELT?

Did any of your training so far include observed and graded lessons?

What countries are you thinking about working in?

jelenab

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Is your Bosnian Diploma in TEFL/ TESOL/ ELT?

Did any of your training so far include observed and graded lessons?

What countries are you thinking about working in?
It's a BA in English Language and Literature. In Bosnia I am a high school English professor and I could also work as a university assistant.
During my studies I studied methodology and in the end I was graded through an observed 45mins class. I worked for a year in Cambridge Centre in Banja Luka teaching teenagers and adults (Face2Face and Business English). My classes were observed by my coordinator. During that time I passed the TKT. I also spent some time in an elementary school where I worked with children aged 8 to 11. At the moment I'm preparing students for TOEFL.
I have passed the state exam, which is also an observed class, and acquired a teaching licence.
Since I'm not a native speaker and according to the information I have found, there are some available jobs in Asia, even for me. I would also try Turkey simply because I have some friends there who could help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.