Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I guess e2e4 is going to say that it's messed up again. Let's wait what native speakers say, shall we??!!!

1)"He said there's going to be many people waiting for us at the conference hall."

OR

2)"He said that many people are going to be waiting for us at the conference hall."

Does 1) sound OK? There wouldn't be any difference between these two for me?

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I guess e2e4 is going to say that it's messed up again. Let's wait what native speakers say, shall we??!!!

1)"He said there's going to be many people waiting for us at the conference hall." :cross:
'He said there are going to be......' :tick:

2)"He said that many people are going to be waiting for us at the conference hall." :tick:

Does 1) sound OK?
There wouldn't be any difference between these two for me? That is not a correct question. Try again.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Technically, 1 is incorrect, but it's something may native speakers will say, in the UK at least. It's a colloquial form, but it's very common in some areas- I hear that sort of thing a lot in London, where you'll hear things like There's two things I have to say.... However, this is non-standard and will be considered wrong by many.

Starting a thread with this is basically inviting trouble, so please don't do it. Start a discussion as a discussion and not an invitation to fight, please.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1)"He said there's going to be many people waiting for us at the conference hall."

OR

2)"He said that many people are going to be waiting for us at the conference hall."

Does 1) sound OK? There wouldn't any difference between these two for me?
Sentence 1. is normal in AusE, as is sentence 2.
It's an interesting point of grammar, and I note that different languages cope differently with it.
Spanish has one word; hay. Hay un ombre; Hay dos hombres. ("There's one man; There's/there're two men").
Il y a in French can mean either: Il ya a un homme; Il y a deux hommes.
Es gibt is used for both in German.
On the other hand, Italian has c’è and ci sono. C'è un uomo; Ci sono due uomini.
So, I don't think there's any grammatical reason why English shouldn't use "There's" as both singular and plural. And in fact, many of us do.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just in case you didn't notice this, however, all of these are about "There's" in a contracted form. I would suggest that the native speakers who are comfortable using "there's" for a plural subject [and I am one of them] would not use "There is..." but rather "There are..." in the non-contracted form.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Just in case you didn't notice this, however, all of these are about "There's" in a contracted form. I would suggest that the native speakers who are comfortable using "there's" for a plural subject [and I am one of them] would not use "There is..." but rather "There are..." in the non-contracted form.

I think the fact that it's easier to say could affect things.

Status
Not open for further replies.