Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi everyone! I need help with my debate speech...I'm the 2nd speaker!
I want to make my speech sound as strong as possible too...
please feel free to correct my speech! Thanks for your help!:)

Good morning everybody and our dear opponents,

It’s no doubt that the Asian Games would bring huge expenditure. From the consultation paper released by the gov’t, the direct expenditure of the Asian Games is between $13.7 billion and 14.5 billion. However, the expected income is only 0.78 billion, which means the gov’t must suffer from a deficit of 13.3 billion. Moreover, an extra $15.6 million dollars is required for the maintenance of sports venues every year after the games, but is it worth?

The gov’t proposes that the Asian Games can stimulate the economic development in Hong Kong. However, the economic yield, including that brought about by tourism, is only 0.4 – 0.6 billion, which is simply ridiculous when we compare with the 14.5 billion direct expense. The expense is over 30 times of the economic payback. Thus we can obviously see it’s not cost-effective to hold the Asian Games.

As we have proved, holding the Asian Games is not a cost-effective way to enhance sports development. But there are many better alternatives. There have been calls for building a sports institute and increasing sponsorships on sports training. These can impose support on elite athletes, encouraging them to attain better performance in international competitions, just as Asian Games can.

And if we talk about promoting sports among citizens, the gov’t can lower the rents of the sports facilities, or allow citizens to use the facilities for free for more days, these can receive direct and significant response from the public.
If Hong Kong wishes to become a platform for international events, and let athletes watch and learn from them, the gov’t should try to organize international friendly matches of different sports events separately and regularly. This is better than the one-time boost Asian Games.
These means can have better and more direct effect on HK’s sports development, hence are more cost-effective. Thus the gov’t should definitely allocate more resources to these aspects, but not spending extravagantly on such a vanity project.

Our opponents argue that the Asian Games can enhance social cohesion. However, there is a huge discrepancy in whether to bid to host the 2023 Asian Games or not among the public. According to a survey conducted by the Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, which is neutral and thus the most reliable, the supporting and opposing percentages were 46% and 48% respectively, which was very close. This shows there is still not a mainstream consensus. Since citizens cannot unite together to host the 2023 Asian Games, there can hardly be social cohesion. And this may even results in the community’s disunion, which is even worse.

I would also like to reply to our opponents’ argument on enhancing social cohesion. The effect of improving the international image of Hong Kong is based on hold the 2023 Asian Games successfully. However, just as our caption has mentioned, the natural environment limits Hong Kong from providing a good platform to athletes. First of all, the land resource is Hong Kong is scarce. Hong Kong cannot provide accommodation or facilities as large as other cities, which lowers the quality. Moreover, there are restrictions in proposing policies to solve air pollution and traffic jams in Hong Kong. It’s because Hong Kong citizens treasure freedom and economic activities a lot. Hong Kong gov’t cannot propose some effective policies which may cause disturbances. For instance, before the 2008 Olympic Games, the Beijing gov’t migrated an entire village of citizens for building sports venue, and imposed parallel transportation management system to reduce traffic jams. That is, cars with odd license plate numbers travel on a day, and those with even numbers travel on another day. But these measures are almost impossible in Hong Kong. The restrictions in resources and policies obstruct Hong Kong from holding the Asian Games successfully. Hence HK can hardly leave a good image to visitors and athletes, and can hardly improve its international image.

These are our main arguments, seeing all of the above concerns; today’s motion definitely should NOT stand. Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's hard to assess how effective an argument against a proposition is if one has to infer the proposition from the argument.
In other words, what is the debate topic that you are arguing against? What is the actual motion that you mention in the last line?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.