Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When you hear someone singing and she is really good, what kind of comment will you give?

Would an English native speaker prefer using "She is a good singer" other than "She sings well" ?

sato

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
That's a very good question. Both are equally acceptable and interchangeable, though these days as people's attention to grammar wavers, 'good' is starting to be used more commonly than 'well'.
Personally I advise you to keep using 'well', as it will stop you making mistakes such as "He talks loud."

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Personally I advise you to keep using 'well', as it will stop you making mistakes such as "He talks loud."
I've recently learned, on this forum, that "loud" is acceptable as an adverb. It's nice to see someone else who doesn't buy this.:)

sato

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
I've recently learned, on this forum, that "loud" is acceptable as an adverb. It's nice to see someone else who doesn't buy this.:)

It's perfectly acceptable! ...if you don't know what you're talking about :).
It is a little depressing how many people think that popularity equates to accuracy.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Loud IS an adverb, but not as it applies to volume of sound -- only in offensiveness, like "a loud pink dress."

But what does misusing "loud" as an adverb have to do with "good" being incorrect when you use it to say she's a good SINGER?

She sings good? That's clearly wrong.
She sings well. Perfectly fine.
She's a good singer. Perfectly fine and to me, something I'd be more likely to say.

Did you hear Terri at karaoke? Who knew she was such a good singer?! (

Linus2005

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Loud IS an adverb, but not as it applies to volume of sound -- only in offensiveness, like "a loud pink dress."

But what does misusing "loud" as an adverb have to do with "good" being incorrect when you use it to say she's a good SINGER?

She sings good? That's clearly wrong.
She sings well. Perfectly fine.
She's a good singer. Perfectly fine and to me, something I'd be more likely to say.

Did you hear Terri at karaoke? Who knew she was such a good singer?! (

Thank you, Barb. It confirms what i thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.