• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Post talking about "demand with" and "that which"

A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.
    The quote above is a sentece whic I get from a friend's asking. He was asking me to translate the sentence to Chinese. Well, I was confused by the last part of the sentence.

Question 1: "demand with" VS "demand"

Do you think if "demand with all his might" means the child knows the ability of his limit so he does things with "his might"?

I compared it with "demand all his might", I found the differences: without "with" the sentence would be "the child get what his need", and with "with", it would be "the child get what his need with his could, but not all what he thought."

Question 2: "that which"
    without "that" the sentence would be weird, since which would refer to "might" but not "demand."

Am I correct? I need someone's comfirm.

aggelos is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: talking about "demand with" and "that which"

First of all, you need to understand that "with all his might" ("might" here is a noun, not a verb) is an adverbial phrase meaning "with all his power", so "with" is not connected with the preceding verb (i.e. "demand"). So the last part of the sentence should be read: "...to demand || with all his might || that which he desires". In other words, "demand" is the verb, "that which he desires" is the object (demand what?), and "with all his might" shows the way of demanding (how?)

"that which" means "the thing(s) which". It could also be expressed as "what" ("what" in this case being a relative pronoun, not a question word), but then it would be somewhat less emphatic.