"It seems that the lies we tell end up in a therapy session of one kind or another."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"It seems that the lies we tell end up in a therapy session of one kind or another."?

It's a line I came across in a British TV series "Miranda".The context is that Miranda and her mother are in a psychiatrist's office and end up blaming each other for Miranda's "scrapes" in life.And close toward the end of the session,the psychiatrist says,"It seems that the lies we tell end up in a therapy session of one kind or another." I will be very grateful if you could help me under this sentence.
By the way ,there is another sentence in this episode I also find difficult to understand which goes as follow:
Miranda:"She took me to Overeaters Anonymous once.Totally unnecessary."
Her mother:"I can explain.Belinda was showing off that Tilly had issues, so I said you did."This is a conversation between Miranda and her mother and the psychiatrist.What perplexed me is that why any mother would brag about anything like their own children having issues?Or does the "issue" here refer to something else? So please help me with these two expressions.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Re: "It seems that the lies we tell end up in a therapy session of one kind or anothe

It's a line I came across in a British TV series "Miranda".The context is that Miranda and her mother are in a psychiatrist's office and end up blaming each other for Miranda's "scrapes" in life.And close toward the end of the session,the psychiatrist says,"It seems that the lies we tell end up in a therapy session of one kind or another." I will be very grateful if you could help me under this sentence.
By the way ,there is another sentence in this episode I also find difficult to understand which goes as follow:
Miranda:"She took me to Overeaters Anonymous once.Totally unnecessary."
Her mother:"I can explain.Belinda was showing off that Tilly had issues, so I said you did."This is a conversation between Miranda and her mother and the psychiatrist.What perplexed me is that why any mother would brag about anything like their own children having issues?Or does the "issue" here refer to something else? So please help me with these two expressions.
It seems to me that the psychiatrst is saying that we are frequently haunted by our lies and the guilt we feel drives us to talk about it (either with a therapist or someone else.)
I've never seen this show, but from the posts here I infer that it's a dark comedy about a dysfunctional family. Given that, nothing that mother and daughter say about each other should be a surprise. A: "My daughter goes to therapy twice a week." B: "Oh that's nothing. My daughter goes three times a week." (My daughter has more issues than your daughter.) This is called one-upmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.