Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear teachers.

I often watch a bilingual broadcasting drama which provides English as well as Japanese. I usually select Japanese-mode to listen to the casts talking but sometimes I select English-mode to train my ability of English listening comprehension. But it is so difficult for me to catch correctly what they say. Especially, preposisions are very hard to hear.
How do Engish native spakers talk with other people? I mean, do you always hear all words correcty in what your friends are saying?

And I would be happy if you gave me some advice. Sorry for my broken English.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers.

I often watch a bilingual broadcasting drama which provides English as well as Japanese. I usually select Japanese-mode to listen to the casts talking but sometimes I select English-mode to train my ability of English listening comprehension. But it is so difficult for me to catch correctly what they say. Especially, preposisions are very hard to hear.
How do Engish native spakers talk with other people? I mean, do you always hear all words correcty in what your friends are saying?

And I would be happy if you gave me some advice. Sorry for my broken English.
Whether native speakers hear all words is not really relevant. Obviously people's hearing, and listening conditions, vary. It's often possible to understand a communication without hearing all the words. Having said that, most people would be able to repeat what they've heard, getting the prepositions right.

Do you have a choice of English sound and English subtitles? That would be ideal.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
" mm ofmm watch a bilimmual broadcastmm drama mm pr'vides English s well's Japmmese. I us'lly s'lec Japmmse-mo t'lis'n... "

In very informal conversation, we might 'hear' something like the above, where mm represents some unclear sound. In context, this would be understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.