Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: on tour

  1. #1
    maiabulela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default on tour

    Dear all,

    Rihanna, the singer, says:

    "And we are really excited because we have never done a show to this capacity ever. Itís a whole new audience to show what itís like on tour with me and I am excited about that."

    What is the meaning of the highlighted sentence? I can't get the stucture very well.

    Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: on tour

    No idea... Do you have some more context? Have they been performing for the same audience again and again? (Even then, it wouldn't make much sense though, unless Rhianna was a hardened professional who'd be on tour before, and someone had changed the audience so that her backing band can get the feel of 'being on tour with [her]'. But then she probably wouldn't be that excited...)

    b

  3. #3
    mayita1usa's Avatar
    mayita1usa is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: on tour

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Dear all,

    Rihanna, the singer, says:

    "And we are really excited because we have never done a show to this capacity ever. Itís a whole new audience to show what itís like on tour with me and I am excited about that."
    It sounds like she is trying to say that the audience for this show is going to be the biggest audience ever, and so she's excited that there are so many new people who will see her perform. She is going to show the new audience what one of her tours (live performances) is like.

    Does this help?

  4. #4
    maiabulela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: on tour

    Quote Originally Posted by mayita1usa View Post
    It sounds like she is trying to say that the audience for this show is going to be the biggest audience ever, and so she's excited that there are so many new people who will see her perform. She is going to show the new audience what one of her tours (live performances) is like.

    Does this help?
    The preposition "on" has no sense here. It's confusing me... I don't know.

    I reaaly appreciate your effort. IF any suggestion came to your mind, just post it.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    mayita1usa's Avatar
    mayita1usa is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: on tour

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    The preposition "on" has no sense here. It's confusing me... I don't know.
    Ah-ha! The phrase "on tour" is idiomatic - we say that singers go "on tour" to mean that they take their show on a tour of the country or world. For example:

    - Rihanna was on tour for 7 months in 2010.
    - When will the Rolling Stones go on tour again?
    - I hate going on tour! It's so exhausting!

    Does it make more sense now? Let me know!

  6. #6
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: on tour

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    The preposition "on" has no sense here. It's confusing me... I don't know.
    on tour = touring = travelling around the country with your show.

    Now, let's look at Rihanna's words: "And we are really excited because we have never done a show to this capacity ever. Itís a whole new audience to show what itís like on tour with me and I am excited about that."

    Stage one: Accept that singers, actors and other people of limited intelligence (public relations people, sports personalities, politicians, spokesmen for the military, Republican presidents, etc) constantly mangle the language.

    Stage two: Accept that mayita1usa may be on the right track: It sounds like she is trying to say that the audience for this show is going to be the biggest audience ever, and so she's excited that there are so many new people who will see her perform. She is going to show the new audience what one of her tours (live performances) is like.

    Stage three: Make mayita1usa's version a little more transparent: We are excited because we have never before played in front of such a large audience. It is a new type of audience, a type to whom we can show just what it is like to be part of the experience of a travelling show in which I am involved.

    Stage four: Relax.

  7. #7
    maiabulela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: on tour

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    on tour = touring = travelling around the country with your show.

    Now, let's look at Rihanna's words: "And we are really excited because we have never done a show to this capacity ever. Itís a whole new audience to show what itís like on tour with me and I am excited about that."

    Stage one: Accept that singers, actors and other people of limited intelligence (public relations people, sports personalities, politicians, spokesmen for the military, Republican presidents, etc) constantly mangle the language.

    Stage two: Accept that mayita1usa may be on the right track: It sounds like she is trying to say that the audience for this show is going to be the biggest audience ever, and so she's excited that there are so many new people who will see her perform. She is going to show the new audience what one of her tours (live performances) is like.

    Stage three: Make mayita1usa's version a little more transparent: We are excited because we have never before played in front of such a large audience. It is a new type of audience, a type to whom we can show just what it is like to be part of the experience of a travelling show in which I am involved.

    Stage four: Relax.
    First: you are so sweet. :)
    Second: THANKS A LOT for that very thorough answer. YOu rephrased it very clear really. Thanks again.

Similar Threads

  1. A trip/ A tour
    By RoseSpring in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2010, 03:33
  2. dime tour
    By masterding in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Dec-2009, 11:56
  3. career tour
    By unpakwon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2009, 21:08
  4. the tour to London
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2008, 15:51
  5. tour
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Jul-2004, 01:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •