Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Nepal
dear sir/madam,
i would like to know what the possession status of a country means?i am looking forward for your answer..thank you ...:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could you give more contect, please?

usha magar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Nepal
one of the ielts teacher asked my friend about the possession status of the country during speaking tests...and i am totally unknown about what that exactly refers to or mean?so i just thought posting here and getting the help from the teachers might help...if you know about it even to a little extent,i would be grateful to hear from you...thank you...

usha magar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Nepal
i am from nepal..so does the posession status have got anything to do with the situation of the country?i would be glad to find out what it really means...thank you for your post..i am looking forward for your answer...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It does't mean anything to me- it's not a standard phrase, so I wonder whether your friend misheard the exact words they used- could it have been present status/situation?

I believe possessions was used where territories is used (see Barb's link), but I would be surprised if someone asked that in IELTS as its a term that goes back to colonial times and has negative connotations.

usha magar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Nepal
thank you for your reply..may be it is true.it may be she heard it wrong..anyways i was afraid that the same type of question might follow during my speaking test in ielts..i am glad to know nothing such as a posession status of certain country even exists...i am very thankful to your reply..i am grateful for your concern..

Status
Not open for further replies.