Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Teaching English as a Second Language

I am designing a program to teach adults who have done their education in english, but, due to lack of exposure in expressing their thoughts in english find it difficult to communicate effectively.
    The typical way of processing would be to translate what they hear in english to their first native language, formulate the answer in their native langauge and translate back into english before expressing their thoughts.
    Any inputs on how to improve their language processing ability without the back and forth translation?

Augustine - Dubai, U.A.E.

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teaching English as a Second Language

Quote Originally Posted by achalissery
    I am designing a program to teach adults who have done their education in english, but, due to lack of exposure in expressing their thoughts in english find it difficult to communicate effectively.
    The typical way of processing would be to translate what they hear in english to their first native language, formulate the answer in their native langauge and translate back into english before expressing their thoughts.
    Any inputs on how to improve their language processing ability without the back and forth translation?

Augustine - Dubai, U.A.E.
    Read and listen.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Teaching English as a Second Language

Hello Augustine,

It is really good thing that you were creating a nice software so please tell me how can i use this software and how to download this.. good bye take care.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Students have to aqcuire the confidence to use language without translation, which can be very difficult for some, especially is they don't have much contact with the language. By asking them to use the target language to explain other aspects of the target language in the program, you can try to develop this skill.

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of expression of the non-English speakers is in direct proportion to how often they speak their native language. The translation process is not a bad idea, indeed it will improve the writing skill, but it will limit the confidence as they speak.

Dixy
    Last edited by Dixybig273; 26-Jul-2005 at 03:33.

flcracker is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

During "off time" (such as home), students can watch movies or VCR's in English that will give me a chance to hear English pronunciation. It also allows them to practice on their own and without others listening, if they are timid.

Be sure to understand there is a remarkable differnece in the Queen's Engligh and American English.

Some wonderfully bright person said "You have to think in a foreign language to be truely fluent". I found this true when I worked as a translator. I didn't have time to process the words back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like

Achalissery, please when writing any "noun" for llanguages like English, capitalize the initial letter. Example Russian, not "russian", English, not "english".
    check?
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Achalissery, please when writing any "noun" for world languages like English, capitalize the initial letter. Example Russian, not "russian", English, not "english".
    check?
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Teaching English as a Second Language

Quote Originally Posted by Blearbunty
    Hello Augustine,

It is really good thing that you were creating a nice software so please tell me how can i use this software and how to download this.. good bye take care.
    It's an uncommon bad practice to write the first pronoun without a capital letter. it should be written "I".
    Edgarius

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Teaching English as a Second Language

you can organize a speech day. Students have to preper a short speech about anything, sometimes you can provide them a topic, but I think that if they choose it is better. something important is 'time' you have to tell them in advance hwo much time they have to speak. It woks!! good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast