• Post Thanks / Like

Question How to understand " woman of substance" and " authority" in this sentence?

I WILL NOT Sulk about having no boyfriend, but develop inner poise and authority and sense of self as woman of substance, complete without boyfriend, as best way to obtain boyfriend.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to understand " woman of substance" and " authority" in this sentence?

Authority here seems to mean something like "sense of power, feeling of having some influence upon people", may be self-confidence. "Woman of substance" is a well-to-do woman, independent and comparatively high in the social scale.

Hope it helps.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. Is substence here a money thing?

• Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think it is wealth that is meant here, may be not an enourmous fortune, but the amount of funds enough for a lady to make good living

• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: How to understand " woman of substance" and " authority" in this sentence?

I strongly disagree with your interpretation of "woman of substance" in this sentence (and in any context for that matter). In my opinion it means “self-sufficient”, and as the given sentence goes: “complete without a boyfriend”. I think it has nothing to do with financial freedom. But that’s just my understanding; I’m not a teacher. Maybe somebody more experienced could clarify the meaning of this expression.

• Post Thanks / Like

Oh may be you're right, tatoshka
    In a way it can be both - self-sufficient in a sense that she doesn't need anybody else to be happy and economically independent as well I've interpreted the word "complete" as "being self-sufficient", that seems to come up logically in the course of the sentence, after having enough money But yes, it can be just a kind of explanation to a woman of substance...
    Still waiting for other opinions

• Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How to understand " woman of substance" and " authority" in this sentence?

Thanks a lot guys! This is how I understand these two phrases here:

woman of substance means woman of self-reliance, reliance on her own capabilities, judgment, or resources; independence.

Authority means Confidence derived from experience or practice; firm self-assurance; self-confidence

What do you think?