Christmas Topic: How to pronounce "Noel" correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi Everybody,

I'd like to know how to pronounce "Noel" correctly, I found the phonetic symbol from dictionary, the pronunciation is "No" + "L", but I hear people say "No well", please advise.

EngFan

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It is /nou'el/. "No"+"L" is right. Also when people say the word fast, it could be "No well". :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is /nou'el/. "No"+"L" is right. Also when people say the word fast, it could be "No well". :)
It doesn't have to be fast. When words ending in the sounds you hear at the end of such words as 'go' and 'you' are followed by a vowel, speakers often use a 'linking' /w/ sound. You will hear it when many speakers say such things as, 'go in', 'no entry', 'Hello, Anne'; 'you are', 'too early', 'through England'.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
It doesn't have to be fast. When words ending in the sounds you hear at the end of such words as 'go' and 'you' are followed by a vowel, speakers often use a 'linking' /w/ sound. You will hear it when many speakers say such things as, 'go in', 'no entry', 'Hello, Anne'; 'you are', 'too early', 'through England'.

Thank you very much for the valuable answer. This 'linking' /w/ is very special to me cos I can't find the answer in dictionaries until you answered me, I'd like to know do you have any website/video can introduce more about 'linking' /w/, so that I can understand more...thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.