Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Mehrgan's Avatar
    Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question "Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

    Hi everybody,

    Can this idiom be used in daily speech? Any other idiom or phrasel verb meaning the same?
    (I suppose this is when people want to be polite, and not express their skills because they think it might be interpreted as bragging about them.)
    Last edited by Mehrgan; 22-Dec-2010 at 21:03. Reason: wrong spelling

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

    Your interpretation is correct.

    I have the feeling that the expression is still quite widely used.

    ps. please write 'because' rather than 'cos' - Please don't use 'chatlish'; this is a forum, not a chatroom

  3. #3
    Mehrgan's Avatar
    Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Your interpretation is correct.

    I have the feeling that the expression is still quite widely used.

    ps. please write 'because' rather than 'cos' - Please don't use 'chatlish'; this is a forum, not a chatroom
    I'm sorry about that!

    Besides, could you please tell me how unnatural my written language is? Especially in the first post. Would there be a great difference if a native wanted to express the same thing?

    Thanks in advance.

  4. #4
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Your interpretation is correct.

    I have the feeling that the expression is still quite widely used.

    ...
    ...especially when 'bushel' is spelt correctly!

    b

  5. #5
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

    Like 5jj I agree that this biblical expression is widely used today, though I doubt that many understand the literal meaning of it, even after looking up the meaning of bushel.

    Regarding your final point, your written language is fine. The only thing a native speaker might have said differently is 'Is there any other idiom that means the same?'

    Rover

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    ...especially when 'bushel' is spelt correctly!

    b
    I misread the exclamation mark. Apologies. And I agree with Rover about your written language; I even thought 'Any other phrasAl verb meaning the same?' was OK, if a little informal. The one expression that bothered me was 'express their skills'; I don't think you can use 'express' like that; what you express is usually an opinion/point of view/idea/thought... - something that involves words. What these people are doing is 'showing off' or 'making a show/display' of their talents (I guess that word came to mind because, like 'hide your light under a bushel' it is biblical in origin - a parable based on this coin: Attic talent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

    b

    PS Here's a more direct link to that parable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable...lents_or_minas
    Last edited by BobK; 23-Dec-2010 at 14:51. Reason: PS added

  7. #7
    Mehrgan's Avatar
    Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I misread the exclamation mark. Apologies. And I agree with Rover about your written language; I even thought 'Any other phrasAl verb meaning the same?' was OK, if a little informal. The one expression that bothered me was 'express their skills'; I don't think you can use 'express' like that; what you express is usually an opinion/point of view/idea/thought... - something that involves words. What these people are doing is 'showing off' or 'making a show/display' of their talents (I guess that word came to mind because, like 'hide your light under a bushel' it is biblical in origin - a parable based on this coin: Attic talent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

    b

    PS Here's a more direct link to that parable: Parable of the talents or minas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    So many thanks for the great tips dear Bobk. yours.

  8. #8
    anhtu91 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

    Why ? I don't understand

  9. #9
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

    Quote Originally Posted by anhtu91 View Post
    Why ? I don't understand
    And I don't understand what you don't understand. Could you say a bit more about what exactly you don't understand?

    b

Similar Threads

  1. "Turn right at the nearest traffic light" - correct?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2009, 16:33
  2. "German light infantry" & catching trout
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2008, 09:38
  3. Who "would" hide your cap in the tree?
    By sitifan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2008, 05:26
  4. "Thank u for saving my hide" What does 'hide' mean?
    By wsytzw in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Jun-2008, 04:37
  5. "in light of the hazards astronauts face"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2005, 12:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk