Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Silverobama is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    intelligent things

    Hi,

    How to understand this sentence, what does it mean by "intelligent things"?


    Helen had a few intelligent things to say on the subject.


    Thanks a lot

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: intelligent things

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    Hi,

    How to understand this sentence, what does it mean by "intelligent things"?


    Helen had a few intelligent things to say on the subject.


    Thanks a lot
    Helen had some ideas that were thought out rationally, and that demonstrated that she had a good understanding of the subject.
    The things she said about it were intelligent.
    A sentence can be a thing.

    A: Those things you said last night ...
    B: Uh ... yeah?
    A: Did you really mean them?

  3. #3
    Silverobama is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: intelligent things

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Helen had some ideas that were thought out rationally, and that demonstrated that she had a good understanding of the subject.
    The things she said about it were intelligent.
    A sentence can be a thing.

    A: Those things you said last night ...
    B: Uh ... yeah?
    A: Did you really mean them?
    Can I put the sentence in this way?

    Helen had a few things to say on the subject, and those things she said showed her intelligence.

  4. #4
    riquecohen's Avatar
    riquecohen is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: intelligent things

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    Can I put the sentence in this way?

    Helen had a few things to say on the subject, and those things she said showed her intelligence.
    You can, but the original sentence said it more concisely.

  5. #5
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,403
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: intelligent things

    I can't really agree they are the same. She could be repeating someone else's ideas.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2010, 06:50
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2009, 11:50
  3. How intelligent are you? Or How are you intelligent?
    By vv0510_vn in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2007, 19:08
  4. no more intelligent than
    By siruss in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2007, 13:07
  5. 'more intelligent'?
    By YO yo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-May-2005, 00:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •