Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Russian Federation
What will be good idiomatic antonym(s) to "B A D - A S S" (for ex., in promo "B A D - A S S SOLVING SERVICE" of the botnet.com)

And why does this board block the posts with such idioms?

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States

Because it is vulgar. Students of all ages use this forum and the administrator doesn't want them exposed to profanity.
A** is not a "nice" word unless you are referring to a donkey, and even then the forum probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The word "bad" in itself would not be a problem.

Instead of spelling out the word with spaces, so that any human being can still read it, maybe you can substitute certain letters with other characters?
If parents and teachers let children use the forum for homework they probably don't want them to see words like that.

I don't know what an exact antonym for "bada**" would be. Try looking it up in a dictionary and if it doesn't list an antonym you can try to determine an appropriate one from the definitions given.

vgv8

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks.
I am sorry that I was not clear but in antonym to vlugar, bad, shady, being censored, profane,
I asked about antonym expressing quite opposite - nonvulgar, invoking positive emotions, bright associations and lifting all possible barriers

Last edited:

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States

You also asked why your question had been blocked, which is what I explained.

hotmetal

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your phrase B~ A~ is really an americanism, though it is also in quite common use in the UK. I say it is an americanism because the 'A**' word is spelt differently in British English, but we do not spell this phrase in the English way, we have 'imported' the American phrase.

Because its origins are in 'criminal' or 'homeboy' slang, it is already reversed in meaning. That is to say, in this context, 'bad' actually means 'good'. So an antonym would be 'weak' or 'poor', or 'weedy'. Exactly which English word would fit best would very much depend on context.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

Thanks.
I am sorry that I was not clear but in antonym to vlugar, bad, shady, being censored, profane,
I asked about antonym expressing quite opposite - nonvulgar, invoking positive emotions, bright associations and lifting all possible barriers

Not sure I understand. Is this a request to express "bada$$" in a way that is not vulgar? I don't think there is such a phrase.

Of course one should remember that, profanity filters on this forum aside, "a$$" and its derivatives aren't really that vulgar anymore. They're kind of rude and low-class, maybe, but there was a film called "Kick-A$$" released earlier this year and nobody cared.

If the request is looking for an actual antonym of "bada$$", I'd suggest "punk", or a certain word that starts with P and is also slang for a woman's private parts.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you for the laugh!:lol:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As hotmetal said, "B~ A~ is really an americanism". Wikitionary gives an excellent definition: A person whose extreme attitudes, behavior or appearance are admirable.

But weedy is never heard in America. It is exclusively UK usage as far as I know.

Good American colloquial antonyms for bada** are wimpy or nerdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.