Students use texting language in papers at university. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
I am not an English teacher, but I just started teaching at an American college and I have found that several students sometimes substitute a single number or letter for a word. One student used "4" instead of "for" throughout his entire paper. Another wrote "U" instead of "you." It was the kind of writing that you would expect to see in a text message.
These students are still required to take English no matter what subjects they choose to major in, so it is hard for me to understand why they make mistakes like these. I have to assume that it is intentional laziness rather than a real error, but this makes it harder to correct.
I have not been hired for a permanent possition so it is very important for me to do well, but how is it possible to teach history on a higher level to students who write worse than second graders?
I am only 28 years old so it should not be that hard for me to relate to my students, but on this point I am lost.
Is this kind of problem common in students? And other than explaining that it is wrong (which these students should know already) how do you correct it?
On one hand it is not my job to teach English, but on the other hand I cannot give a decent grade for an otherwise good paper if it reads like a text message!
A small (and insecure) part of me is wondering if the students thought they could get away with this because I am a foreigner.
Do you think that this could be part of the reason for the many "mistakes" I am finding in their work?

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
And other than explaining that it is wrong (which these students should know already) how do you correct it?
Are you sure they know the difference?

The best way to handle the situation is to show the student(s) what is required in formal writing (teach them) and, then, on their next essay, mark their work accordingly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Give those who do it incomprehensible feedback written in very dense text language and when they ask what you mean, tell them you thought they were more comfortable with that sort of writing. ;-)

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Give those who do it incomprehensible feedback written in very dense text language and when they ask what you mean, tell them you thought they were more comfortable with that sort of writing. ;-)
The direct approach would not only be easier but faster.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1|\|D33D 17 \/\/0ULD ;-)

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
Are you sure they know the difference?

The best way to handle the situation is to show the student(s) what is required in formal writing (teach them) and, then, on their next essay, mark their work accordingly.

I just find it hard to believe that someone who was able to graduate high school and be accepted into college could come this far without learning that words should be spelled using letters. It just seems so basic, doesn't it?
Of course I will do my best to explain this after Christmas but I am not even sure of the best way to do it. I am not an English teacher so usually I just correct the really bad and obvious errors, but this problem was fairly common among the last pile of papers and it makes me think that I need to devote some time to teaching this to the class.
I asked a younger family member about this sort of thing (I don't understand it myself and I don't own a cell phone) and I was told that she and her friends write this way because they find it easier, quicker and more "modern." Is this the common perception among (younger) Americans? Do they feel that they should be allowed to make up their own spelling?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My daughter uses text speak when she texts with her friends. I've seen an e-mail where she wrote Hy instead of Hi -- to her friends. I read a paper she turned in to class, and it was perfect. They KNOW the difference. (She also doesn't use text abbreviations in texts to me. They KNOW!)

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
...this problem was fairly common among the last pile of papers
What do your colleagues think? That is, how are they dealing with it?

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
I am new here and I don't know too many people in the other departments, but the few people I have asked said that although they did find "mistakes" like these sometimes, it was not a widespread problem with their students. That is really why I thought that my students might be doing it because they know that this isn't my first language. Perhaps they think that I either won't bother to correct them and take points off or that I won't know any better.
I agree with Barb when it comes to them knowing. If they don't know then I am about to lose all my faith in this educational system. I really try not to think of the American school system as inferior to the one I myself experienced in Denmark but this makes it hard.
That memorizing dates and vocabulary words without any larger context forms the basis for much of the teaching in high school is something I have come to accept. But this is just too much.

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
Okay, when I read my last post it sounds really rude, but I will leave it as it is. I still mean what I said, but I will admit that I am frustrated and that I might be exaggerating. There are great teachers in American schools, I know that from my year as an exchange student. There are bad and indifferent teachers in Denmark, I know that too. The problem probably isn't the teachers but the system. Teachers here have too many students and not enough resources.
I also believe that anyone who takes the time to visit forums like this on their own time do it because they care about doing a good job, so what I said before probably doesn't apply to anyone reading this.
Even though I don't understand why anyone would hand in an essay that reads like a text message I do understand that students who see that a lot of their teachers are only making a minimal effort will try to get by that way too.
I just want to pull out my own hair when I read a paper with great contents that I can't give anything over a C for because of the spelling. Especially since I have no idea how to help the students improve their writing and I know that if they leave my class without showing improvement that it will be my fault more than theirs.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
...I read a paper with great contents that I can't give anything over a C for because of the spelling.
Say that to your students. Take my seasoned advice: They, not you, are responsible for their grades. Correct their work accordingly. Give the papers a C and explain why.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
:up::up::up::up:

It's sad that this is being undermined in many places.
I had no idea it was even an issue. :shock:

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
The way the university looks at it is that it is less likely to have a class of fifty stupid students than it is to have one bad teacher. Of course that is too simple a way of looking at it, but if none of my students show improvement then I do feel responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.