Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
I have often problems to undrestand clean english pronounce, especially of UK colloquial english, how can I explain to speaker that I want from him to speak more central europe accent/speech/pronounce?

Try to speak more harder please.
or
Try to speak more harsh/hard/strict/strong accent please.
or
Try to use more harsh/strict/hard/strong accent.
or other sentence?

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Maniak

The problem you may have is whether you want to understand "English" English or English as spoken by a central/eastern European. That could determine who needs to help you.

I currently live in Thailand where some nationals, along with other nationals from "Indo-China", find it difficult to distinguish between the English letters "R" and "L". The endings of words are also omitted (where the meaning isn't immediately apparent) and the second letter of a double consonant cluster isn't always pronounced.

A typical example, when cruising along a motorway, was hearing the words, from my front seat passenger: "Why you not let me die!" which of course means: "Why don't you let me drive"! It was just a bit disconcerting at the time!

If I were to try to speak in "Thai-speak" rather than English there would be just an additional layer of confusion that could lead to very serious consequences.

Hope this helps
R21

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Route is right, Maniak. If you ask a native English speaker to speak a Slavic accent, then even if they try to oblige, you won't be satisfied with the outcome. It won't become more comprehensible to you.

You may try asking them to:
- speak slowly,
- speak clearly,
- make pauses between words so you can make out where one word ends and another begins,
- use simple English,
- avoid colloquial expressions,
- avoid phrasal verbs,
- avoid idioms.

All these are reasonable things to ask, but if the person is not trained in talking to people using English as a second language, they may and probably will find it difficult to satisfy all these conditions.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Birdeen

In a related issue, I once used to edit colleagues' contributions to our client's monthly Project Report. One of my colleagues was an older East European Engineer.

If I read his contribution, as a NES, I would have great difficulty understanding it.
If, however, I tried to re-read it as he would have spoken it (complete with East European accent and phraseology), I could understand it reasonably easily.

I would, however, as you say, have significant difficulty trying to rephrase my English to make it understandable the other way round.

Best regards
R21

Status
Not open for further replies.