Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
May I know if the sentence below is grammatically correct? Many thanks for advising.

Shocked, they saw a ghost.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
May I know if the sentence below is grammatically correct? No, it's not correct. And I can only guess at what you are trying to say.
Do you mean 'They were shocked to see a ghost.'?

Many thanks for advising.

Shocked, they saw a ghost.
[

Last edited:

lklwkc

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Yes, I mean they were shocked to see a ghost. However, the student wrote, " Shocked, they saw a ghost" and I wonder if they way he wrote is grammatically correct. I was confused. Thank you very much for advising! Best wishes for a great year ahead. Happy 2011! :-D

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

The comma is all important.

"Shocked, they saw a ghost", means that they were already in shock and then happened to see a ghost.

"Shocked they saw a ghost", means that they became shocked as a result of seeing the ghost.

Regards

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

The comma is all important.

"Shocked, they saw a ghost", means that they were already in shock and then happened to see a ghost.

"Shocked they saw a ghost", means that they became shocked as a result of seeing the ghost.

Regards

:up: ...and of course, after the comma [I have used dashes in my example], you can change the aspect; but the same remains true - the sight of the ghost caused the shock:

'Shocked - they had, after all, seen a ghost - they were made to sit down and drink a cup of mild sweet tea.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.