Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Default Canada

I've got a question about Canada. As I'm travelling to Canada later this summer I want to discover which dialect of English is spoken there - American or British. It seems to me that American English is spoken in Canada, as most of Canada's major cities are situated along the border with the States

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canada

Canada has two official languages: French and English, and like the States, there are many different dialects. If you can understand American English and British English, you'll be able to handle Canadian English.

If you want, there are sites online that list the differences between American and Canadian English, mostly pronunication, and it isn't that big of a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your answer! I think I can understand both American English and British English. So, as you said in your post, I probably won't have any difficulty in undestanding Canadians. My problem is that I've been learning British English since I started learning English (about 4 years ago) and consequently I'm vaguely familiar with American/Canadian pronunciation. I know that there is a considerable difference between the two diaclects but I think that you'll understand me all the same, won't you?

I have gone through a couple of sites listing the difference between AmE, CanE, and BrE but most of the info on these sites seem to be intended for native speakers. I don't know so many words - most of the words they listed on those sites were either fairly old or too formal.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll find that you will pick them up- I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

Post Thanks / Like

You're both right on the money! I'm not worrying *too* much about it. I just wanted to determine which dialect is spoken in Canada and what problems I can face once I come there. Thanks a lot for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    You're both right on the money! I'm not worrying *too* much about it. I just wanted to determine which dialect is spoken in Canada and what problems I can face once I come there. Thanks a lot for your help!
    You're welcome. I wouldn't worry too much about pronunciation. Remember that Canada is multi-cultural, so you're going to run into a great deal of people who speak (Canada) English with an accent. Moreover, it's not the pronunciation you have to prepare for, it's the speed of speech. Native speakers don't usually speak at the same rate as a language provider or teacher. Be prepared for the speed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got lots of British and American channels at home, so I know how fast native speakers can speak. I don't think native speakers try to speak more slowly when doing interviews, for example. Right?
    I think I'm prepared for the speed and pronunciation. I'm not sure that I'm ready for slang and things like that. When I was in Enland last summer I talked with lots of British teenagers but it was very, very hard for me to understand them - because of slang they constantly used. By the end of my stay in the UK I even got used to their speed but I still couldn't undestand many of their sentences. In my opinion, it's impossible to learn to understand slang in 4 weeks. I also think that it's useless trying to study slang words or expressions at home as my head doesn't usually keep them for a long time. I've got to constantly try them out on somebody. Otherwise, I forget them very quickly. I'm not keeping to the topic anymore
    BTW, where do you live in Canada?
    Last edited by Flash; 29-Jun-2005 at 23:12.

Post Thanks / Like

Alberta. It's a western province, next to British Columbia, and close to the Rocky mountains. I presently live in Japan, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have a map of Canada, so I can see where Alberta is situated.
    There are lots of moderators presently living in Japan on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I need your help again. As I recently got my host family's phone number I want to call them before I go. I want to sound more natural when talking to the hostess, so I have written a short dialogue and would like you to take a look at it and say what I should change to sound more natural.

-Hello! Can I speak to Ms X, please?
    -Hello, Ms X. I'm the student who's coming to you next Sunday.
    -I'd like to know if there's anyting special I should take along?
    -All right, and what about a plug adopter? Have you got one or should I buy it myself?
    -Would you like me to bring you anything from Russia? For example, some sourvenirs or something of the kind?
    -Thank you very much indeed! That's all I wanted to ask you while I'm Russia. Bye-bye!

Well, the dialogue is very short but like I said that's all I want to ask her while I'm in Russia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast