[General] leap of faith/ pin one’s faith on somebody (something)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you share with me your attitude toward the abstract expression in bold in the following sentence?

Whether it is one side's cry of the “radical uncertainty” of authentic faith or the other side's reiteration of the " leap of faith ", we are offered an imposing edifice of faith with little or no mention of foundations.

[FONT=&quot]leap of faith = [/FONT]the act or an instance of believing or trusting in something intangible or incapable of being proved

In my native language we call this “blind faith”, similarly to your “blind imitation”, “blind infatuation” or “unquestionable obedience” – (as plainly as anything).

Would you tell me whether I am wrong giving preference to another more comprehensible expression namely “pin one’s faith on somebody (something)?

And from then on Ernest pinned his faith on revolution. (J. London, “The Iron Heel))

He…repeatedly warned her not to pin her faith more on him than on any other critic. (B. Shaw, “Cashel Byron’s Profession”)

pin one’s faith on somebody (something) = swear by somebody (something)

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
You are right about leap of faith except that 'blind imitation' is an unknown expression to me and both blind infatuation/unquestionable obedience have nothing particular to do with (leap of) faith.
You may pin your faith on a person or an event - in both cases producing the result(s) you prefer.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.