Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you pls advise the difference between

electric

electrical

electronical

Can I use both electric and electrical to describe shaver, kettle, or even fridge and etc?

Thank you for your help.

Can you pls help me to explain the difference between

electric

electrical

electronical

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

norwayteacher

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Norwegian
Home Country
Norway
Current Location
Norway
Could you pls advise the difference between

electric

electrical

electronical

Can I use both electric and electrical to describe shaver, kettle, or even fridge and etc?

Thank you for your help.

Electric and electrical are almost the same. However, for the examples you mention above, you would use electric. To put it simply, electric is the word you're looking for whenever you are talking about something that uses electricity.

The difference between electronic (not electronical) and electrical is that electrical is a more general term, referring to the use of electricity in an item for instance. All items that are electronic are also electrical, but not all items that are electrical are electronic.

I don't know nearly enough about the field of electronics to explain the distinction better than this, so I include also a quote from the World English Dictionary:

Electronic is used to refer to equipment, such as television sets, computers, etc, in which the current is controlled by transistors, valves, and similar components and also to the components themselves. Electrical is used in a more general sense, often to refer to the use of electricity as a whole as opposed to other forms of energy: electrical engineering; an electrical appliance. Electric, in many cases used interchangeably with electrical, is often restricted to the description of particular devices or to concepts relating to the flow of current: electric fire; electric charge

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Electronics would have transistors and integrated circuits. Electrical items would be simpler, without any "intelligence."

A toaster or drill would electric.

A TV or a mobile phone would be electronic.

Status
Not open for further replies.