Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I'm not sure if there should be an "a" in the sentence below.

"In the event of a contract termination according to Article 3, there shall be no right to compensation."

It doesn't sound right to me, but in the construction "in the event of such a termination" the "a" is necessary, I think.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
----- Not an English teacher -----

"In the event of a contract termination according to Article 3, there shall be no right to compensation."

It doesn't sound right to me, but in the construction "in the event of such a termination" the "a" is necessary, I think.

I partially agree with you. The first sentence reads much better without the indefinite article. You have already used the definite the.
You may also say:
"In a/the contract termination event ... "
or
"In case of a/the contract termination ... "
or
"In case of contract termination ... "

But, as I said, I agree with you only partially - the original sentence, although a little awkward, seems to be correct.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

What do you think?

Thanks!

I don't think either "a" is necessary in your examples.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Your quote comes from an official document; that will almost inevitably include legalese. So it does not sound right but it is right in that circumstance and even in everyday speech it is used.

vgv8

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Russian Federation

What do you think?

Thanks!

Contexts of terminations can be various, but cocrete termination can be only one from many possible - hence "a".
"THE" before "event" is used because it is further specified by the phrase following "of".

What's the problem? All according rules of English

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If these are standard terms it makes sense IMO- many contracts and one (non-specific) termination.

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

What do you think?

Thanks!
(Not a teacher);-)
"Contract termination" is in its general abstract sense, so no article is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.