Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everybody,

This is a fable I have read on the internet. I just extract one part of the story.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]The Ape quickly turned to him(a man). "And pray how do I and these my friends around me
seem to you?' "Thou art," he said, "a most excellent Ape, and all
these thy companions after thy example are excellent Apes too."
The King of the Apes, enraged at hearing these truths, gave him
over to the teeth and claws of his companions.[/FONT]

My question is "his companions" in this case whether it should be "The King of the Apes"'s companions or the man's companions( he also comes with other men). I'm looking forward to hearing your answers with appreciation cordially. Thanks very much.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]"Thou art," [the man] said, "a most excellent Ape, and all these thy companions after thy example are excellent Apes too." The King of the Apes, enraged at hearing these truths, gave [the man] over to the teeth and claws of his [the King of the Apes'] companions.[/FONT]

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]The King of the Apes, enraged at hearing these truths, gave him[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]over to the teeth and claws of his companions.[/FONT]

Are you asking if the word "companions" here refers to the apes or to the other men? I am not familiar with to story but the way I understand it the King was angry and so he allowed his companions (the other apes) to destroy the man.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Are you asking if the word "companions" here refers to the apes or to the other men? I am not familiar with to story but the way I understand it the King was angry and so he allowed his companions (the other apes) to destroy the man.
Taken out of context, though, either referent could work. Anaphoric reference is in question:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]The King of the Apes gave [the man][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel] over to the teeth and claws of his companions.[/FONT] :tick:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]The King of the Apes gave [the man][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel] over to the teeth and claws of his companions.[/FONT] :tick:

Semantics, however, tells us that animals are more prone to use teeth and claws than are humans, who use fists, and weapons.

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
more prone to use teeth and claws than are humans, who use fists, and weapons.

There also doesn't seem to be a good reason for why the man's own companions should wish to harm him. That was how I read it, but "teeth and claws" make it even more clear.

I agree that we can't tell from grammar. That is one of the things that can be confusing when it comes to learning English. In Danish we have a different word that replaces "his/hers" if the pronoun refers to the subject of the sentence. It can eliminate some misunderstandings, but unfortunately many Danish speakers are not actually aware of the difference. That results in some very unfortunate - though sometimes amusing - sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.