Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Please i need some help. please suggest me some topic for the play IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEst on which in can research. I got an assignment to do with different topic on which i can research but im in trouble i dont know what to do :s .. i cant use simple topics like IMP of being Earnest as comedy of Manners .. i have to choose something diff. plz suggest me some topics thankss

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some people have argued that the play has a strong gay subtext as earnest was Victorian slang for gay- you could look at the play from that aspect and see whether this is true or not.

snow.white

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
thankss one of my classfellow suggested this topic and it was not accepted by the teacher :s can u suggest some thing else from it

snow.white

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Some people have argued that the play has a strong gay subtext as earnest was Victorian slang for gay- you could look at the play from that aspect and see whether this is true or not.

thanks but can u suggest me something else because my teacher has disapproved it as some other student already suggests it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What aspects of the play interest you? If you have to dig up a theme that no one has thought of, I think you're going to find it hard. You can ook at class, leading double lives, etc, but the real joy of the play is the wit and word play for me.

Last edited:

snow.white

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What aspects of the play interest you? If you have to dig up a theme that no one has thought of, I think you're going to find it hard. You can ook at class, leading double lives, etc, but the real joy of the play is the wit and word play for me.

Yes u are right it is difficult but finally i have found the topic for my research... Instead of Importance of being Earnest i will suggest an other title for the play and reasearch on it why i have chosen particaluar title for the play. So now help in suggesting Title for the play other than importance of being earnest.. i have read the play and i am thinking what should i suggest another suitable title for it.. Please suggest me ..

snow.white

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Please sir do reply me soon i am short of time :s :-(

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you are going to write about why you have chosen a new title, it would be far more useful for you to choose the title yourself.

Once you have chosen it, you can post it here for us to see if the language is correct.

snow.white

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
If you are going to write about why you have chosen a new title, it would be far more useful for you to choose the title yourself.

Once you have chosen it, you can post it here for us to see if the language is correct.

Okkk i will but any suggestion how i coin a new title i am keep on thinking .. and should i put my work all over here to check for the grammar work but it is safe to post open here on the forums ?

snow.white

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
a new title for the play and finally come across by a title : Importance Of being a Hypocrite... The title is ironical,the reason for this title is that being a hypocrite is not important but Wilde makes it something important through his characters. Throughout the play characters are hypocrite for money and marriage. So please let me know is it ok ??

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okkk i will but any suggestion how i coin a new title i am keep on thinking .. and should i put my work all over here to check for the grammar work but it is safe to post open here on the forums ?

It depends how you define "safe." Anything you write here can be viewed by anyone else. Some people have been afraid that their teacher will see the post and think their work is not original; I think this is silly because it was your post in the first place. Others worry that their classmates may copy their ideas. Only you can decide if posting in an open forum is a worthwhile risk.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
a new title for the play and finally come across [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] a title : Importance Of being a Hypocrite... The title is ironical,the reason for this title is that being a hypocrite is not important but Wilde makes it something important through his characters. Throughout the play characters are hypocrites [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] as regards money and marriage. So please let me know is it ok ??
It sounds to me as though you have a reasonable title. What is more important is that you already have some ideas to work on.
I would suggest a minor addition: "The Importance of Being a Hypocrite".

snow.white

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thank you so much and also correcting my mistakes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.