[General] go to great lengths = go to any length(s) = go the whole length of/ hang back

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me your opinion regarding the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Beijing has gone to great lengths in recent weeks to push for a boycott of the Nobel ceremony in Oslo, claiming that most of the world was opposed to the Nobel Committee's decision to honor Liu.

go to great lengths = go to any length(s) = go the whole length of = take a great deal of trouble for something, go to extremes,

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/go-to-any-length#ixzz19scdBsQS

….I was conscious that a moment’s mutiny had already rendered me liable to strange penalties, and like any other rebel slave I felt resolved, in my desperation, to go all lengths. (Ch. Bronte, “Jane Eyre”)

….if your father hadn’t been against me they wouldn’t have gone to any such length in making me the victim. (Th. Dreiser, “The Financier”)

I knew the Harvey would go to any length to get me to the work on a new book. (E. Coldwell, “Love and Money”)

Because of Arnie, Erik hung back as long as possible before getting off the train. He would have gone to any length to avoid a meeting with him now that he felt so vulnerable. (M. Wilson, “Live with Lighting”)

hang back = be reluctant to move ahead, hold back

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Beijing has gone to great lengths in recent weeks to push for a boycott of the Nobel ceremony in Oslo, claiming that most of the world was opposed to the Nobel Committee's decision to honor Liu.

go to great lengths = go to any length(s) = go the whole length of = take a great deal of trouble for something, go to extremes,

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/go-to-any-length#ixzz19scdBsQS

That link leads to a perfectly satisfactory explanation. Are you unhappy with it?

Because of Arnie, Erik hung back as long as possible before getting off the train. He would have gone to any length to avoid a meeting with him now that he felt so vulnerable. (M. Wilson, “Live with Lighting”)

hang back = be reluctant to move ahead, hold back Yes.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.