Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Are these the most common terms in everyday English?

Are these phrases right?

To buy Sth wholesale.
To bulk buy Sth.
To buy Sth in bulk.
To buy Sth retail.
To buy Sth in retail.

Thanks a lot.

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First of all, is it really that much work to type the word something?

Second of all, all of your examples are consistent with common American English usage except the last one. We buy things at retail.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Second of all, all of your examples are consistent with common American English usage except the last one. We buy things at retail.
Same here.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Hi,
Many thanks for the helpful information. About "Sth", I do wonder why it may cause any problem or misinterpretation. I've seen in lots of grammar books or web sites where they use "Sth" and "Sb" for something and somebody. I thought the context was clear, and it's not an abbreviation used in chatrooms or texting. Sure I won't use them any more, but I'd appreciate it if you could tell me why they're not appropriate to use.

Thanks again.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,
Many thanks for the helpful information. About "Sth", I do wonder why it may cause any problem or misinterpretation. I've seen in lots of grammar books or web sites where they use "Sth" and "Sb" for something and somebody. I thought the context was clear, and it's not an abbreviation used in chatrooms or texting. Sure I won't use them any more, but I'd appreciate it if you could tell me why they're not appropriate to use.

Thanks again.
Those abbreviations are, as you say, used in grammar books, probably to save space/printing costs. I think the point that mykwyner is making is that there is no need to use them on this forum.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Hi,

Thanks again.
No, but we do not use such shortened forms in writing; it is just neither normal nor acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.