Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which of the following sentences is correct:

1. Thank you for sharing the link!

2. Thank you for sharing the link.

Recently, I have noticed that many English writers don't use the exclamation mark in such sentences. Is it a new trend in English?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Recently, I have noticed that many English writers don't use the exclamation mark in such sentences. Is it a new trend in English?
There never has been any obligation to use an exclamation mark anywhere, unless we wish to highlight strong feelings of anger, surprise, or some such emotion.
We would use it after Thank you only if we wished to show strong emotion.

seeeker222

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you!

seeeker222

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you for your comment.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Which of the following sentences is correct:

It's common on chat groups and certain internet forums which attract excitable teenagers.
Before computers, one rarely saw more than one ! or ? at one time. That is, you're either making an exclamation or asking a question, or you're not.

seeeker222

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It's common on chat groups and certain internet forums which attract excitable teenagers.
Before computers, one rarely saw more than one ! or ? at one time. That is, you're either making an exclamation or asking a question, or you're not.

Don't you think that the use of an exclamation mark is becoming a rule rather than exception these days? I see it everywhere on the Internet. Even professional writers seem to be in love with the exclamation mark.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's everywhere, though I find it intrusive. I like F Scott Fitzgerald's remark that it's like laughing at your own jokes. I prefer to leave the reader to make their own decision about what's important. It should mark an exclamation, so unless you go around shouting a lot, you shouldn't need to use it much. A couple a year should be enough. Peppering texts with exclamation marks is still a little better than the use of upper case to tell people something is important, though the two often go together.

TheNewOne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Tdol
After reading your post I'm afraid to use ! and upper case. I thought it was OK to use them:shock:

BTW, what does this smiley :roll: mean? I know it's not a good one, but people at Russian-speaking forums use it when they talk about something pleasant (this smiley looks more friendly at those forums).

Status
Not open for further replies.