English Teacher
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I am also a first time ESL teacher, although I have not done the TESOL certificate.

A student asked the technical details regarding how and why 'should not' is used in question form. I explained to her that the modal 'should' is used prior to a person referred to in the question, and the negative portion's placement depends on the question itself. I gave examples, but she still wasn't clear and wants a more specific rule/guideline to follow.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? :-?

Thank you in advance!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I am also a first time ESL teacher, although I have not done the TESOL certificate.

A student asked the technical details regarding how and why 'should not' is used in question form. I explained to her that the modal 'should' is used prior to a person referred to in the question, and the negative portion's placement depends on the question itself. I gave examples, but she still wasn't clear and wants a more specific rule/guideline to follow.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? :-?

Thank you in advance!
In the majority of cases, the answer is simple. A question is formed with "Shouldn't": "Shouldn't you call him?"; "Shouldn't this show be over by now?"; "Why shouldn't I do what I want?"
That's the simple specific rule that your student needs about how. "Why" is more difficult to answer second hand.

- An old-fashioned form is "Should you not call him?; "Should this show not be over by now?"

- If "should not" is being used in the sense of "if", you use, "Should you not": "Should you not wish to stay for the entertainment, you may leave straight after dinner." (But that's not a question form.)

RaspberryRock

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks! I think this well help her understand better, particularly the latter as I already explained the first portion. I appreciate your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.