Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
My wife writes her diary to practice her English.
In the afternoon, I went to my own house. I cleaned the floor and stayed there for two hours. When I came back home, I stopped at the market near my own house and bought some food.
I suggested her to clearify about own house that might be confusing.
What should we say?

I went to my new house which I've just bought one for my own. I cleaned the floor and stayed there for two hours. When I came back home, I stopped at the market near that house and bought some food.

Please correct the writing for us.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My wife writes her diary to practice her English.
In the afternoon, I went to my own house. I cleaned the floor and stayed there for two hours. When I came back home, I stopped at the market near my own house and bought some food.
What should we say?

I went to my new house which I've just bought one for my own. I cleaned the floor and stayed there for two hours. When I came back home, I stopped at the market near that house and bought some food.

Please correct the writing for us.
Who owns her "home'?
Is she the sole owner of her new house?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What should we say?
It sounds strange to start a narrative with "In the afternoon, I went to my [own] house" or even, "I went home", without any mention of where you were before.
Of course, it is her diary, so she knows where she was in the morning; but a reader would wonder.

PS: If the previous sentence said, "In the morning, I went to a friend's house, and in the afternoon I went back to my own house", that would make sense. So the context of the sentence is important.

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Who owns her "home'?
1. She stays at the house that she rents.The owner of her "home" is the owner of the house that she rents.
2. Yes,she is.

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
It sounds strange to start a narrative with "In the afternoon, I went to my [own] house" or even, "I went home", without any mention of where you were before.
Of course, it is her diary, so she knows where she was in the morning; but a reader would wonder.

PS: If the previous sentence said, "In the morning, I went to a friend's house, and in the afternoon I went back to my own house", that would make sense. So the context of the sentence is important.

I told in the first thread that the new house is the one she bought.(Please see line 6)
She went there to clean the house and came back to the house where she rents and living at present.
I thought about the words own house might be confusing.
Please suggest us more.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Originally Posted by 2006
Who owns her "home'?
1. She stays at the house that she rents.The owner of her "home" is the owner of the house that she rents.
2. Yes,she is.

-------------------------------------------------------

She rents the place she lives at, which is her home. She now owns a house, but it is not her home.
If she (has)(owns) only one house, she shouldn't say 'my new house'; because she has only one house.
So she can simply talk about her home and her house, which are two different places. She shouldn't say "my own house", just 'my house'.
Now try to correct what your wife wrote.

Last edited:

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Thank you.
Now I try to correct it.
Today, I went to the house that I have just bought it. I cleaned the floor and stayed there for two hours.Before I came back home, I stopped at the market near that house and bought some food.
Please give some suggestion to help improve my writing.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you.
Now (I'll)(I will) try to correct it.

Today, I went to the house that I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] just bought [STRIKE] it[/STRIKE]. I would omit "have", because the meaning is very clear without it. (some might keep "have")
"it" at the end is wrong.
I cleaned the floor and stayed there for two hours. This is an odd sentence. Did you clean the floor and then stay there for two more hours? Did you stay there a total of two hours, including the time you were cleaning the floor.
The sentence is also odd for its content. It would be more natuural to say something like 'I went to my house for about two hours. I cleaned the floor and also spent some time....... '. (doing whatever else you did)
Before I came back home, I stopped at the market near my house and bought some food. It is very odd to call one's house "that house" when you have only one house.

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I learned a lot from 2006's suggestions.Thank you.
I will continue correcting the diary writing and need further suggestions.

I would like to continue asking questions in this thread but the following questions perhaps no more concern about "own house".
Do I have to begin another thread or continue my questions on this thread?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
IDo I have to begin another thread or continue my questions on this thread?
It is much much better to start a new thread for each new topic, and I strongly encourage you to do that! Otherwise, the thread becomes too long and people will lose interest iin following a long thread.
Also, make the title of each thread identify what the topic of the thread is, as you did in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.